Appeal of Notice of Violation
An appeal of parking violation penalties must be filed at the Parking Services Office within fifteen (15) calendar days of the issuance of the Notice(s) of Violation. Appeals will not be accepted unless they are submitted in writing on the proper form and the Notice of Violation or item number is listed. Appeals will be handled in accordance with the University Parking Appeals Board procedures in effect at that time.
The decision of the Appeals Board is final, and there is no appeal of its decision.
A surcharge of $15.00 will be added to your parking account for any $50.00 (or greater) violation for which the appeal is denied. A surcharge of $10.00 will be added to your parking account for all other violations for which the appeal is denied.
A late fee of $15.00 will be added to all fines due as a result of a denied appeal not paid within 15 calendar days of the date of the notification letter.
The Appeals Board may deny an appeal and charge the violator with a lesser offense to reflect the most appropriate violation.
Appeal Process Steps
- Citation is placed under appeal and is placed in a holding pattern. No fees will be added or changes will occur until the appeal is adjudicated.
- Parking staff review the appeal and citation with current procedures for possible alternatives such as reduction, waive, or ownership transfer.
- Parking administrator reviews the appeal and citation. The administrator may grant the appeal before it is heard by the Board if the situation warrants such action.
- The Appeals Board reviews the appeal, citation, and is read the appellants description on the form and hears the appellant; if in attendance. The Board discusses the circumstances and makes a decision after the appellant has left.
- The decision of the Board is sent in writing via email, campus mail, or U.S. mail to the appellant. When the appeal is adjudicated the citation is subject to appeal fees; if applicable; and late fees based on the appeal decision date.
Explanation of Appeal Results
Granted - Administratively - The appeal was granted during an administrative review prior to the Appeals Board meeting. This violation will serve as a warning and you are not required to pay the fine.
Granted - By Board - Based on the evidence available, your appeal has been granted. This ticket will serve as a warning and you are not required to pay the fine.
Denied - Violation Reduced - Based on the evidence available the Appeals Board has reduced the violation in question and waived the appeal fee. The amount listed on the notice is outstanding and due within 15 days of the date of the letter.
Denied - By Board - The appeal is denied. The original fine and the appeal surcharge are due within 15 days of the date of the letter.
If you have questions, comments, or suggestions, please email Parking Services.