Read these important notes before starting.
- After starting up Windows XP, go to the New Connection Wizard by following this menu path from the Start button:
Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Communications -> New Connection Wizard
- If you have never used this computer to dial-in to an Internet Service Provider, you may see a Dialing Properties window asking you to provide information about your phone line (e.g., area code, dialing prefixes, and so on). Supply the requested information, then click Next.
- You will see a window like the one below.
- On the Network Connection Type screen, select Connect to the Internet.
- On the Getting Ready screen, select Set up my connection manually.
- On the Internet Connection screen, select Connect using a dial-up modem.
- In the ISP field on the Connection Name screen, type University of Delaware.
- On the Phone Number to Dial screen, fill in the appropriate phone number from the chart below:
You are liable for any potential telephone charges for calling UD's modem pool. Therefore, whenever possible, make sure the phone number that you select is a local call from your dialing area. Do not use University modem numbers from outside your local calling area as main or alternate numbers unless you are willing to pay the phone charges. Dialing from Modem Speed Number to dial New Castle County 300 - 33,600 bps 302-831-0100 New Castle County up to 56K bps (v.90 or x2) 302-831-1000 Sussex County up to 56K bps (v.90 or x2) 302-645-4052 Kent County up to 56K bps (v.90 or x2) 302-734-1472 Maryland up to 56K bps (v.90 or x2) 443-245-4555 (Elkton)
443-664-4433 (Ocean City)
- On the Internet Account Information screen, fill in your UDelNet ID and password as requested.
If you will be sharing this computer with anyone else, remove the checkmark from the box next to Use this account name and password when anyone connects to the Internet from this computer. Then, click Next.
- On the Completing the New Connection Wizard screen, check the box next to Add a shortcut to this connection to my desktop.
To connect to the University's computing network, start a software application that uses the PPP connection (e.g., Secure Shell, Netscape, Internet Explorer). You will automatically be prompted to make the connection. You could also double-click the University of Delaware icon on your computer's desktop to initiate the connection.
If everything else appears to be in order, but you are seeing multi-link errors, check our modem trouble shooting document to see how to fix this problem.
|About PPP||UD Access Numbers||
IT Help Center
Copyright © 2002 University of Delaware
Last updated: July 13, 2004