The University of Delaware allows faculty, staff and students to use UD's Virtual Private Network (VPN) to log into resources usually restricted to on-campus use.
The VPN client software is available for MacOS 10.x only.
Directions for Macintosh Users
- Download the VPN client software from UDeploy. (May require your UDelNet ID and password.) Note that there are two versions available for downloading from UDeploy, one for users of MacOS 10.2 and 10.3 and one for users of MacOS 10.4 and higher.
- Double-click the Cisco VPN Client.mpkg icon to install the package. Follow the prompts, selecting Continue, Agree, and your computer's hard drive as appropriate.
- Look for the VPNClient icon. By default, the installer will have placed the software in your computer's Applications folder.
Double-click the VPNClient icon.
- Make a new connection by selecting the New icon in the VPN Client window.
- Make sure that Group Authentication is selected. Then provide this information:Connection Entry: UD VPN Description: UD VPN Connection Host: vpn.nss.udel.edu Name: udeluser Password: vpnclient
- Select Save.
- To use the VPN connection, follow these steps:
- Connect to the Internet using an ISP other than the University of Delaware.
- If it is closed, open the VPN client by selecting the VPNClient icon from your computer's Applications folder.
- Make sure that the UD VPN entry is highlighted on the Connection Entry list.
- Select the icon for Connect.
- Provide your UDelNet username and password when prompted.
- Work using whatever Internet applications you ordinarily would.
- When done, select Disconnect from the VPN Client window and close the VPN Client program.
How Virtual Private Networks Work (by Jeff Tyson, How Stuff Works, 2005)
IT Help Center
Last updated October 28, 2009
Copyright © 2005-2009 University of Delaware