University of Delaware

Summer Sessions (2014) General Information

Overview of Summer Sessions

Summer Sessions at the University consists of two sessions.
The First Session includes classes meeting in the first 5-week period (June 9 - July 12) and 7 1/2-week classes (June 9 - July 31).
The Second Session is another 5-week period (July 14 - August 15).
Five-week three credit courses generally meet Monday through Friday for one and one-half hours per meeting; 7 1/2-week three credit courses typically meet two nights per week for three hours per meeting. Some Online courses are available in each session. Most are in the First Session 7-1/2 week period.

Anyone may participate in Summer Sessions. Registration in Summer Sessions neither requires nor implies admission to the University of Delaware. There are some courses which are designed for special student populations. Such courses may have enrollment restrictions or give preference to certain registrants. Students are advised to read the notes in the course listing section of this site, and to register early since courses are assigned on a first-come first-served basis subject to registration restrictions.

This booklet contains certain information which relates only to the Summer Sessions. Additional information about the University of Delaware can be found in the current editions of the University Catalog, and the Student Guide to University Policies. The University reserves the right to withdraw any course, to limit enrollment, or to change instructors, class meeting times, or locations.


Students are required to carry the i-card. The ID Card Office is located in the Student Services Building, Lovett Avenue, Newark (302-831-2759). Our hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. For your protection, it is necessary to present a picture ID for positive identification before obtaining/replacing an i-card. A fee is charged for replacement cards. Examples of privileges that MAY be accessed with the card are:FLEX account, checking/debit account through PNC Bank, sporting events, the library, and dining facilities. Access to privileges is determined by registration status and account balances. Lost and stolen cards should be reported immediately by calling (302) 831-2273. This service is available 24 hours a day.

Residence Halls

Summer School housing is provided only for upper-class matriculated UD students who are registered for a summer course. While Residence Life & Housing staff are present to supervise students and provide assistance as needed, new students, who have never lived in the residence halls, will not be well served by this experience. If you are not an upper-class UD student, but wish to request summer housing, please send an email message explaining your circumstances to More housing information is available at and questions may be directed to (302) 831-HOME (4663) or

Students who are doing an internship, attending a conference, or working for a UD department are not eligible to live in the residence hall with the summer school students. Contact Conference Services at 302-831-8590 for information. All summer school students living in the residence hall during any part of or all of the summer sessions are required to buy a dining plan. See the information on dining plans here. Those upper-class UD students who wish to live on campus should submit an application for summer housing via the Residence Life & Housing website at and select a dining plan via the Dining Services website at

Summer School housing will be in Ray Street A this year. We will have a very limited number of single-room options available. Single rooms will be assigned on a first-come, first-served basis. If you require a single room due to medical reasons, please complete the form "Housing Request for Medical, Psychological, or Disability Needs" and indicate your request is for summer housing. The form is found via our website at If you have other extenuating circumstances, please send an e-mail message to explaining your situation.

Room Rates: (per person)5-week7.5-week
Double Room$1043$1565
Single Room$1337$2006

Please visit the Residence Life & Housing website at for complete details on Summer Housing, including billing and assignment information.

Meal Plans

Meal plans offer you value, variety, and versatility. The Summer Session plans are designed to support your academic schedule and personal living and eating styles. Each plan contains a designated number of all-you-care-to-eat Meals and/or Points. Meals will be served in Pencader Dining Hll during Summer Sessions. Points are units of purchasing power that give you the convenience to buy food, snacks, and groceries from any UD Dining location without cash.

Students who reside in on-campus housing for any part of the Summer Sessions are required to purchase a meal plan for the period of their room contract. Meal plan selections can be made at:

Students who reside in Christiana Towers Apartments, Graduate Student and Family Housing or who live off campus may choose any of the plans offered; but that choice is optional.

Unused Point balances from the Summer Sessions may be carried semester to semester, through the following spring. All remaining Points are forfeited at the end of May.

Meal plans offered are:

19 Weekly Meals + $ 45 in points = $ 915
15 Weekly Meals + $ 75 in points = $ 915
10 Weekly Meals + $115 in points = $ 902
80 Block Meals + $ 65 in points = $ 915
55 Block Meals + $ 105 in points = $ 902
40 Block Meals + $ 140 in points = $ 902
19 Weekly Meals + $ 60 in points = $1255
15 Weekly Meals + $ 90 in points = $1255
10 Weekly Meals + $130 in points = $1243
120 Block Meals + $ 80 in points = $1255
90 Block Meals + $ 120 in points = $1243
60 Block Meals + $ 155 in points = $1243
Christiana Towers Apartments, Graduate Student and Family Housing, or students living off-campus may opt for an All Points plan starting at $50.

Additional Points for any plan may be purchased through a cash deposit at one of five Value Transfer Stations on campus (located in the Trabant University Center, Perkins Student Center, Christiana Commons, and Morris Library Lower Level); or a minimum $25 deposit at Cashiers or the outside drop slot at the Student Services Building.

Students not required to purchase a meal plan may opt to deposit funds to their FLEX prepaid spending account instead of a meal or points plan. The FLEX account may be used at all dining locations as well as for a variety of campus services. FLEX balances do not expire until the account is closed.

For more information about your meal plan, you may visit our Web site at
or contact Dining Services, 153 Perkins Student Center, Newark, DE 19716
e-mail: dining
(302) 831-6761


Textbooks, new, used, rentals and digital versions are not only available at the University Bookstore, but are also now available for purchase via the web at: Newark - available at the University Bookstore on Main Street. Regular Summer Session hours beginning Monday June 2 are:
Monday - Saturday10:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Sunday Noon. - 6:00 p.m.
Extended hours:
June 9-10 (Mon.-Tues)
9:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Last day for textbook refunds with receipt (Newark):
      First Session ( 5 and 7 ½ weeks): June 14
      Second (5-week) Session: July 19

Wilmington, Dover and other locations: Books are available for purchase through our website at:

Motor Vehicles

All motor vehicles, including mopeds, parked on University property must either display a permit or pay at meters or pay-to-park lots. To purchase a permit, please go to For complete rules, regulations, parking map and pricing regarding parking on campus, please go to

Commuters may purchase a gray, gold or red permit during the summer. Students living in residence halls may only purchase a gold permit. Students who have value left on a red permit and wish to upgrade to gray or gold during the summer, should visit Parking Services and bring their current permit. Upgrades cannot be done online. It is more cost effective to either go online or visit Parking Services beginning in June for a summer permit as the prices drop the 1st of each month.

Math Placement Exam

The Department of Mathematical Sciences requires all students to take a placement exam before registering for their first Math course. This exam will test algebra, precalculus and trigonometry skills.

The math placement exam is administered online by Admissions. Any questions regarding administration or access should be directed to the Admissions Office. Continuing Education students should contact the ACCESS Center (302-831-7600) for information about taking the exams.

The results of this exam will have serious implications on enrollment in your math course. Your advisor will use this information to determine the appropriate math course. Students are strongly urged to go to for a complete description of the placement process. This process could involve multiple testing and review of math procedures so plan accordingly.

Foreign Language Placement

Students must register for the course into which they have been placed according to their high school background. If you have studied the same foreign language in high school for:
     two years or less than two years. . . .105
     three years . . . . . . . . . . . . . .106
     four years or more. . . . . . . . . . .107
Students who have had at least four years of a foreign language may wish to take the exemption examination. Students who have questions about their placement, or who are seeking an exemption from the foreign language requirement should contact Crista Johnson, the FLL Placement Advisor, at 320 Jastak-Burgess Hall (831-4667).

Veterans Information

All of the University of Delaware undergraduate and graduate programs are approved by the Delaware State Approving Agency for training of veterans. In order to utilize Veterans Education Benefits, a student must be an admitted University of Delaware student.

If you are interested in applying for undergraduate admission to the University of Delaware, please visit our website: or contact the undergraduate admissions office at 302-831-8123

If you are already a UD student and feel that you may be eligible to receive Veteran's Education Benefits, please contact Veterans Affairs at or call 1-800-GIBILL-1. The University's Registrar's Office cannot apply for benefits on behalf of a student.

To receive benefits, you must apply through the Department of Veterans Affairs. Veterans Affairs determines the amount of benefits a student can receive, therefore, we cannot estimate benefit amounts. Please contact Veterans Affairs at or call 1-888-442-4551 (888-GI-BILL) if you are in need of VA advisement or for additional information. The submission of electronic applications using their VONAPP process is strongly encouraged

The VA will process your application and send you a letter notifying you of their decision. Please be aware that it may take the VA several weeks to process your claim. If you are approved to receive benefits, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility letter from the VA. Once you have received your Certificate of Eligibility letter, please submit a copy of the letter, and the completed UD Veterans Educational Benefits Enrollment Data Form to UD's Veterans Services Office. Once all of the required documents are received, UD's VA Certifying Official will electronically submit a 22-1999 enrollment certification to the VA to initiate payments.

If you have any questions or need additional information, please refer to or contact:

Office of the University Registrar
Attn: Veterans Services
University Visitors Center
210 S. College Ave.
Newark, DE 19716
PH: 302-831-1554
FAX: 302-831-3005

Office for International Students and Scholars (OISS)

OISS is the designated office at the University of Delaware that provides immigration advising and support services to more than 4,000 international students, scholars and family members from over 95 different countries. Throughout the year, the office also offers a series of workshops, sessions and programming events for the international community a UD. For more information, please visit the OISS website, which provides comprehensive information and resources on how to navigate issues that are most common to international students and scholars in the United States: The office is located at the Wright House at 44 Kent Way and can be reached by email at or by phone at (302) 831-2115.

Office of Academic Enrichment

The Office of Academic Enrichment offers activities that provide undergraduate students with academic assistance through individual and group tutoring, group study sessions, academic success and study skills workshops, and referral assistance throughout the year. These programs and activities are designed to help students maximize their academic performance as they pursue their degree programs. The Office of Academic Enrichment is located at 148-150 South College Ave., and can be contacted at (302) 831-4555.

Services for Students with Disabilities and Special Needs

In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the University of Delaware is committed to providing equal access for students, employees and visitors with a disability. The Office of Disabilities Support Services (DSS) provides reasonable accommodations and ensures equal access to University programs and services. The DSS office works with individuals who have physical, medical, psychological disabilities, as well as, learning disabilities and ADHD.

It is the individual's responsibility to inform the DSS office of the disability and need for accommodation. Eligibility for reasonable accommodations is determined on a case-by-case basis utilizing established documentation guidelines. Anyone requesting an accommodation from the University based on a disability should contact the DSS office directly. Please contact a DSS professional at
      (302) 831-4643 (Voice)
      (302) 831-4563 (TDD)
      (302) 831-3261 (FAX)
      or email
The office is located at 240 Academy Street, Suite 130,
Alison Hall, Newark, DE 19716.

Recreation Services

Carpenter Sports Building, located off of North College Avenue, is the main recreational facility on campus. Facilities include a student fitness center, employee fitness center, three multi-purpose gymnasia, an indoor rock-climbing gym, an 8-lane indoor pool, squash, racquetball and turf fields.
Hours of operation are:
Building and Employee Fitness Center:
 Mon-Thurs6 am - 8 pm
 Friday6 am - 6 pm
 Saturday9 am - 3 pm
Student Fitness Center:
 Mon-Thurs6 am - 8 pm
 Friday6 am - 6 pm
 Saturday9 am - 3 pm
Lap & Recreational Swim (Indoor Pool):
 Mon-Fri11:15 am - 1:15 pm

Students who did not have Carpenter Sports Building privileges in the Spring semester must pay an additional $15 fee if they desire to use those facilities during the summer. That optional fee can be paid at the Student Services Building, 30 Lovett Ave.

The Outdoor Pool is available to Summer Session students at no charge by presenting their ID card. Others who are not currently enrolled for Summer classes can also use the outdoor pool for a daily rate of $3. UD students are allowed to bring a guest to the outdoor pool at a daily rate of $3 per day. Call 831-6352 for additional information.

Summer Session students may use the Rust Ice Arena during the Public Skating sessions by presenting their ID card. If not enrolled in classes, the rate is $8. Skate rental is $4.00 for everyone. For additional information and for Public Skating hours, call 831-2868.

Career Services Center

The Career Services Center provides programs and services designed to assist students in gaining career experience and in developing the skills and knowledge needed to obtain full-time employment and internships. Career Services provides career counseling, resume assistance, workshops, interviews, career fairs, and a host of resources for finding part-time jobs, volunteer and various other types of opportunities.

Career workshops are offered regularly to develop resume writing skills, interviewing techniques and job search strategies. Special resource material and self-instructional media provide further assistance in these areas. Appointments with Career Consultants are available year-round. Visit the Career Services website to log into Blue Hen Careers and make an appointment.

As the Campus Interview Program is not active during Summer Session, students are encouraged to research organizations and prepare for upcoming on-campus and off-campus interviews. All programs and services are available through Career Services at 401 Academy Street. Hours are 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday - Friday. For more information, visit the Career Services Center website:

The University Student Centers

Information about either the Trabant University Center or the Perkins Student Center is available by calling the Office of the Executive Director at 831-1036 or at

John H. Perkins Student Center
The Perkins Student Center is located on Academy Street in the East Campus area and houses the Student Involvement Office with over 300 registered student organizations, Student Media featuring WVUD and THE REVIEW, the Hen Zone recreational area, Counseling and Student Development Office, Parking Services, and the Scrounge Food Court. Many student organizations are housed in the Perkins Student Center from where they develop and sponsor many diversity programs and activities. A beautiful new Student Lounge and Information Desk, quiet study areas, a variety of meeting spaces and the Bacchus venue provide student engagement opportunities. Music, theater, novelties, vendors and coffee houses are regularly scheduled in the Perkins Student Center.

E. Arthur Trabant University Center
The Trabant University Center is located on West Main Street and offers a diverse student program that includes concerts, speakers, movies, bus trips, the Blue Hen Leadership Program, New Student Orientation Office, and Fraternity and Sorority Life. The colorful new Trabant Lounge is a convenient gathering place to meet friends, study, or relax as is Daugherty Hall, a large, beautiful quiet study area. Trabant also offers an Information Desk with miscellaneous snack and personal items for sale, a large Food Court, PNC banking services, UD Box Office, and Vita Nova, the Hotel Restaurant and Institutional Management student-operated restaurant. Students enjoy the movie-theater, the large multi-purpose rooms and the variety of meeting and program spaces for their organizational activities and special interests.

Student Health Service (SHS)

The SHS is located in Laurel Hall on the main campus South Green area, at the corner of South College Avenue and East Park Place. All matriculated students, whether enrolled in the Summer Sessions or not, are eligible for services. The SHS is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon and 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. (physician appointments until 4:30 p.m.). All services, including gynecologic, are available on an appointment basis. Charges are made for services provided according to a fee schedule. Included in that schedule is an optional Summer Session charge which allows use of most SHS services during the summer period for an estimated single cost of $88, subject to approval by the Board of Trustees.

Matriculated students in summer sessions are also eligible to enroll in a Student Accident and Sickness Insurance Plan which provides medical insurance coverage for the period June 1 through August 14. Additional information can be obtained from the SHS at (302) 831-2226.


The services of the Center for Counseling and Student Development include individual counseling, group counseling, career development programs, student development programming, and consultations with University groups and individuals. These services are available to all matriculated students who pay the Student Health Fee. The Center is staffed by psychologists, psychiatrists and graduate-level trainees who are trained to assist college students in achieving their full academic potential, make realistic career and educational plans, and work toward resolution of personal concerns. At the Center, students may discuss freely, in a confidential and professional setting, any concerns they may be experiencing. The Center also serves as a referral agency by helping students who need specialized assistance to locate appropriate campus and off-campus resources. To make an appointment, call (302) 831-2141 or come to Room 261 Perkins Student Center.

University Writing Center

The Writing Center offers individualized consultations in writing to University students. Writers at any level and from any discipline may attend the Center at no charge. Center consultants are prepared to discuss any aspect of writing. They can help writers decide on topics, how to organize information, revise a draft, document sources or self-edit. In addition, the Center offers advice on prewriting strategies, essay exams, documentation styles, and thesis or dissertation writing.

The Writing Center is located in 016 Memorial Hall. All appointments are made online by going to the center's Web site at Students may also stop by the center to make appointments or call 831-1168 for online scheduling assistance. The Center is open during summer.


The University of Delaware Library includes a rich array of electronic and print resources. The Library is comprised of the Hugh M. Morris Library, where the main collection is housed; two branch libraries on the Newark campus -the Chemistry Library and the Physics Library; a third branch-the Marine Studies Library on the Hugh R. Sharp campus in Lewes, Delaware plus the Library Annex in Newark.

The collections of the University of Delaware Library parallel the University's academic interests and support all disciplines. Books, E-books, electronic databases, E-journals, periodicals, microforms, government publications, maps, manuscripts, media in video and DVD format and Internet access provide a major academic resource. Library staff members provide a wide range of services, including assistance with electronic library resources, reference assistance, interlibrary loan, instructional programs and assistance to users with disabilities. The Library's AskRef Live! and AskRef Instant Messaging (IM) services provides online live reference service during many hours of the week.

Over 2,800,000 volumes of books and bound journals, more than 42,000 electronic and print journals including newspapers to which the University of Delaware Library provides access, more than 370 databases as well as more than 3,400,000 items in microforms are included in the Library collections. The Library's resources are broadly based and comprehensive, with emphasis on the social sciences, humanities, science and engineering. Special collections of rare books and manuscripts include the Delaware Collection; the Unidel History of Chemistry Collection; manuscripts such as the papers of Paul Bowles, Emily Coleman, Ezra Pound, Tennessee Williams, and William Butler Yeats and archives including those of American Poetry and the Bird and Bull Press. Library Digital Projects including the University of Delaware Library Postcard Collection with more than 2,000 images of Delaware, Historic Maps of Delaware and the Mid-Atlantic Region, and the American Civil War Digital Collection are accessible online at

The University of Delaware Library is a depository for publications of the U.S. government and for all patents issued by the U.S. Office of Patents and Trademarks.

The Morris Library, with seating for approximately 2,500 people, provides more than 245 public access Internet workstations, more than 200 wired Internet ports and wireless Internet access in the Morris Library for laptop users. The Student Multimedia Design Center, located on the Lower Level, provides more than 70 workstations, six studios and two classrooms for creation of multimedia programs. A large Reserve Room was designed for quiet study. The Morris Library also provides group study rooms, a periodical reading room, a Special Collections area with an exhibition gallery and a reading room with a controlled environmental system for rare materials, Instructional Media carrels and a Media Viewing Room and an Assistive Technology Center with special equipment and computer access.

The web of the University of Delaware Library offers 24/7 online access to the vast electronic resources including DELCAT DELCAT, the online catalog of the University of Delaware Library.

The University of Delaware Library offers access via its web page to WorldCat Local, the world's largest network of library-based content and services. WorldCat Local, an OCLC product, encompasses the holdings of 1.66 billion items from tens of thousands of libraries around the world including the University of Delaware Library.

The University of Delaware Library provides electronic access to more than 370 databases including a large number of full-text databases with full electronic articles as well as many reference databases in all disciplines. The Library provides online access to more than 42,000 electronic and print journals including newspapers. Electronic resources are accessible to University of Delaware students, faculty and staff from residence halls, offices and buildings through the University and to University users from off-campus using a University of Delaware computing account. The Library web page serves as a gateway research tool and provides access to electronic resources on the web including those licensed for University of Delaware faculty, staff and students. To assist users in navigating the web, the Library created more than 220 Research Guides in academic disciplines. Each Research Guide points to a selection of some of the best web sites in each subject area.

The University of Delaware Library has an Institutional Repository, which uses open source DSpace software to capture, store, index, preserve and redistribute the intellectual output of the University of Delaware original research of faculty and staff in digital form including technical reports, working papers, conference papers, images and more.

The University of Delaware Library is a member of the Association of Research Libraries, the Center for Research Libraries, CIRLA (Chesapeake Information and Research Library Alliance), OCLC (Online Computer Library Center), LYRASIS, the OCLC Research Library Partnership, the HathiTrust, NACO (Name Authority Cooperative Program) and NDSA (National Digital Stewardship Alliance). The University of Delaware Library is also a member of the National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NN/LM) that promotes health information, education and/or access in the Mid-Atlantic Region which includes Delaware, New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania.

For further information, University of Delaware Library users may call 302-831-2965. For Library hours, Library users may call 302-831-BOOK (2665), or check the Library web

University of Delaware Home Page
Summer Session home page
Please direct questions to Allan Fanjoy <>
URL of this document:
Last modified: Monday, 15-Sep-2014 10:27:55 EDT