University of Delaware

Financial Information: Summer Sessions (2014)

Tuition and Fee Payment

The University of Delaware bills students for tuition, fees, and other charges electronically through our My Finances online billing site, available at Billing notification is sent via email to the student's UDEL email and any preferred billing email listed on UDSIS, so new students must establish a pin and email account at the time of registration to receive these notifications. Students also have the option of granting My Finances access to an authorized party through the Parent/Guardian Services site. Students and authorized users can then access the ebill and current account activity from the My Finances site throughout the term. (See for more information.)

Bills are due prior to the start of classes in order to avoid late payment fees and to remain registered in courses. If financial aid (scholarships, loans, Grad Contracts, fee waivers or other credits) is sufficient to cover the balance due, we still require that you notify us of this aid via My Finances to maintain your registration. To do this, log in to My Finances. From the 'Make a payment' option, please indicate 'Yes' at the 'Report additional credits' page and indicate both the type and amount of award that is being used to cover the balance, if not already reflected on your account. This will update a Reported Adjustment credit from the Account Summary. From here you can either make the lesser required payment or, if no payment is due, submit the information without making a payment.

For your convenience, My Finances provides an up-to-date balance and, therefore, payment can be made at any time after registration. When you access your ebill through My Finances, you have the option of paying online via your checking account; if you choose this option you should have your checking account and routing number available. There is also a credit card payment option, though this option comes with a 2.75% service fee for these transactions. If you have questions about the billing, financial aid, and/or payment process, refer to for frequently asked questions and/or to submit your question, or call a Student Financial Services advisor at (302) 831-2126.

Please note that:

Payment Locations
        The Cashiers Office in the Student Services Building is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. To view and pay your bill online via your checking account go to:

Residency Classification for Tuition Purposes

In general, to qualify as a Delaware (in-state) student for tuition and fee purposes, the student (or the parent/guardian upon whom the student is dependent) must have established a domicile in Delaware and must have maintained continuous residence therein for a period of 12 consecutive months prior to the first day of classes in the semester/session in which Delaware student status is sought. Individuals who work in Delaware but reside in another state are not considered in-state students for the purpose of tuition and fees. First time students should resolve any questions concerning residency prior to submitting a registration form.
The complete residency policy can be found at

Tuition Rates (per Session) Summer-2014

If taking classes in both the First Session (encompassing both the 5-week and/or 7.5-week periods that start June 9) and the Second Session (July 14 - August 15), please note that your charges are calculated separately for each of those two sessions.

Undergraduate Tuition

DE ResidentNon-Resident
5 Maximum Tuition
Maximum Tuition

Under certain conditions, non-residents can qualify for a lower rate in online classes. See the description of "Worksites" at:

Graduate Tuition

$1,578 per credit
Graduate tuition is assessed for every credit registered and no maximum applies to graduate tuition University-wide, but at the discretion of each College, certain programs and credit loads may be eligible for scholarships. Also see:

Other Fees

General Fee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $15
A standard fee to cover administrative costs - charged each Summer Session to all students.
Registration Fee . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $30
Charged to all students during Summer and Winter Sessions and to part-time students in the fall/spring terms.
Student Comprehensive Fee . . . . . . . . . . . $50
A mandatory fee charged to all undergraduate and Continuing Education students during the Winter and Summer sessions. This fee supports the student fitness center, recreational programs, student activities, concerts, performing arts and the activities of registered student organizations.
Late Payment Fee . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $55
Charged for outstanding balances after billing and fee payment deadlines.
Change of Registration Fee . . . . . . . . . . . . $25
After the end of the Free Drop/Add period for each session a one-time fee of $25 will be assessed for registration changes (after June 12 for the First Session and July 17 for the Second Session). These registration changes include: changing a course section, dropping and/or adding a course, or changing grade status among auditor, credit or pass/fail. Tuition is charged and not refundable for course withdrawals after those same Free Drop/Add deadlines.

Room and Board:
Room Rates: (per person)                          5-week    7 1/2-week
             Double Room                           $1043       $1565
             Single Room  (limited availability)   $1337       $2006
(also see descriptions of Residence Hall availability and link to online application)
Meal Plans:              5-week           7 1/2-week
                       $902 - 915       $1243 - 1255
(also see descriptions of various configurations of meals and "points" among the meal plans and link to online application.)

Financial Aid

Students who would like to use financial aid to pay for their summer session should pre-register for classes. Those students that are registered, have filed a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for 2013-2014, and still have loan eligibility will automatically be notified of the Federal financial aid award(s) available to them. If you are registered and have filed a FAFSA but do not receive this notification, please visit for information on other sources of funding, such as a Parent Plus Loan and private educational loan options. If you have not filed a FAFSA for 2013-2014, you can do so at Please keep in mind that if you are enrolled in less than six credits you are ineligible for most types of aid and if your credit load changes then your aid package will be revised. Furthermore, listener (L) credits do not count toward enrollment status for financial aid purposes.

FLEX Account

With your FLEX Account you can enjoy cashless purchasing power across campus: at all dining locations, the University Bookstore, even residence hall laundry machines. For more information about FLEX, how to sign up and where to use it, visit our web site at:
or call us at 831-4033.


Open a checking account from PNC Bank, and expand the purchasing capabilities of your i-card both on and off campus. Best of all, the University's i-card becomes your PNC Bank ATM card. To open an account, visit the on-campus PNC Bank office in the Trabant University Center. For more information about any of our banking services, visit our web site at:
or call us at (302) 831-4400 or 24 hours a day at 1-877-PNC-1000


Students who advance register for the Summer Session incur a financial obligation to the University. Advance registered students who later decide not to attend must drop their classes on the
Web as early as possible. This adjusts the student's Summer Session financial obligations, and frees space in courses for other students. Students in University housing must also notify Residence Life & Housing at 302-831-HOME (4663), and Dining Services, 302-831-6761. Canceling registration will not automatically cancel housing or dining.
If a course is canceled by the University or if a student withdraws before the end of the late registration period, a full rebate of tuition is given. There is no rebate of tuition for course withdrawals after the end of the Free Drop/Add Period: after June 12 for the First Session, and after July 17 for the Second Session. Nor is there a rebate for students who neglect to officially withdraw from the University.

Financial Aid Recipient Withdrawals:
If you are a recipient of Title IV federal financial aid funds** and there is a change to your enrollment, including termination through official withdrawal, your financial aid award must be reviewed for possible adjustment. Financial aid eligibility is based on the cost of education (tuition, mandatory fees, housing, meal plan, books, etc.) incurred for the entire Summer Session and is contingent upon completion of that session. When your tuition cost changes, federal regulations mandate that any unearned aid be returned to the federal aid programs. The percentage of aid earned is based on the date of withdrawal divided by the total number of days in the session. Title IV recipients are governed by federal policy if they withdraw prior to completing 60% of the session.
** Examples: Direct/Stafford Student Loans, Perkins Loan, Nursing Student Loan, Supplementary Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG), PELL Grant, Direct/Parent Loan.

Students are required to adhere to the University's official withdrawal policy when terminating their enrollment prior to the end of a given term. Failure to officially withdraw will result in the cancellation of any Federal financial aid program funds previously awarded for that term. Federal regulations require that funds for ineligible recipients be returned to the financial aid program accounts. Students will then be billed for Summer Session charges. Handouts for Title IV recipient withdrawals, explaining the policies, procedures, and examples of Title IV refunds, are available upon request at the Student Services Building.

Cancellations must be submitted in writing, by mail (Dining Services 153 Perkins Student Center), or e-mail or in person at the Student Services Building by the end of the free drop/add period: June 12 for the First Session (5-week and 7 1/2 -week periods), July 17 for the Second Session. When your Dining Services Agreement is officially cancelled, your student account will be credited based on a proration of unused dining plan meals for the remaining days in the term less five days plus the value of any unused points. Any credit balance in your student account may be transferred to a FLEX account.
Full details regarding cancellations and changes are published in the Student Guide to University Policies and at

Students who have received permission to live on campus for Summer Session and wish to cancel prior to check-in will receive a full credit. Cancellations must be submitted in writing, by e-mail to or by mail or in person to Residence Life & Housing, 310 Haines Street, Newark, DE 19716. You may also contact Residence Life & Housing by phone at 302-831-HOME (4663).

After check-in, charges are prorated. Summer Session housing cancellation requests should be submitted on the Summer Session Housing Cancellation Form located via our website at When the space is vacated, charges will be based on the actual number of days that the room was occupied. Any room charges paid in excess of the actual amount owed will be credited to your student account.

Graduate Tuition Scholarships

for Delaware Educators

Teachers and instructional aides in the Delaware public elementary and secondary schools will automatically receive a University-funded credit for summer session courses at the Graduate level in the Colleges of Agriculture & Natural Resources, Arts & Sciences, Earth, Ocean & Environment, Education & Human Development and Health Sciences, reducing their graduate level tuition by approximately 60% of the published UD Tuition Rates. Credit for courses at the Graduate level in the Lerner College of Business and Economics will reduce their net cost to $750 per credit. (See table of net tuition below).

Teachers are also required to pay all other applicable fees, including the $15 General Fee, the $30 Registration Fee and $50 Student Comprehensive Fee for each session.

To qualify for the Delaware Educator Scholarship, teachers must hold a current certificate as a regular, provisional, temporary, or substitute teacher in the State of Delaware, and must have taught in Delaware public schools at least one-half of the total class hours during the preceding academic year (90 days).

Summer bills will be electronically available starting in mid-May and credits will be automatically applied if verification of eligibility has been provided by the State of Delaware. If the appropriate credit is not reflected, then additional documentation must be submitted to the Office of Student Financial Services. Temporary or substitute teachers must submit a letter from their principal or superintendent certifying that they did teach at least 90 days during the preceding academic year. Prospective full-time teachers in Delaware public elementary and secondary schools are qualified for this credit if they present a copy of their completed contract for the following academic year or a letter from their principal or superintendent certifying that they have legally contracted to teach full-time during the following academic year. This will allow us to apply the appropriate credit to the student account. This Delaware Teacher Credit does not apply to Travel Study Programs nor to Non-Credit training classes conducted by the Division of Professional and Continuing Studies.

Net Tuition Rates (per Session) after Delaware Teacher Credit applied
for Qualifying Teachers and Instructional Aides in Delaware Public Schools

Graduate Classes
In Colleges of

Agriculture & Natural Resources
Arts & Sciences
Earth Ocean & Environment
Education & Human Development
Health Sciences

Graduate Classes
In Lerner College
of Business & Economics
Discount Net Rate Discount Net Rate

University of Delaware Home Page
Summer Session home page
Please direct questions to Allan Fanjoy
URL of this document:
Last modified: Thursday, 11-Sep-2014 13:34:14 EDT