Resources and Support for UD’s Veterans
The University of Delaware understands the commitment and sacrifices military members and their families make during their time of service. This is why staff and faculty at the University are committed to helping student veterans and military service members in their transition from military to college life.
The staff of the Office of the Dean of Students is dedicated to empowering students to succeed at UD personally and academically. We are excited that as a veteran or military service member you are considering how to achieve your goals in your own college journey at UD! Making the transition from the military to the college campus can be a challenge, and juggling military service and student obligations can be demanding. Our staff stands ready to support all student veterans and service members to help you navigate and succeed within the university environment. If we can be of service to you, please contact us at 302-831-8939 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Throughout this page you will find information about using your GI benefits and other financial aid, as well as academic resources such as tutoring and study skills, counseling, and other personal support.
Coming in as a first-year student: Freshman? Transfer? Grad student? Not sure?
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
Information on how to apply to UD as a first-year (never taken college-level courses) or a transfer student, if you wish to earn a degree. Please see Transfer Admissions page if you have taken college-level courses. If you just wish to take courses at UD, visit Professional and Continuing Studies.
Office of Graduate Studies
Information regarding graduate studies at UD, including application materials.
USMC Leadership Scholar Program
UD participates in the USMC Leadership Scholar Program (LSP), which assists Marines in gaining admission to over 200 universities/colleges around the country. This program can help you prepare yourself for admission to the University.
Answering the basics: Veterans’ services, registration, finances, housing
Military and Veterans Services (Office of the Registrar)
Provides a wide range of answers related to the VA application process, accessing your GI bill, your status as a student veteran at UD, as well as information on academic advisement, course lists and registration for undergraduate students. For specific questions relating to the VA application process or using your GI bill, email email@example.com.
Financial aid, grants and loans
Fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA); you may qualify for other forms of financial aid, but you must submit a FAFSA.
New Student Orientation (NSO)
A one-day program covering important topics including student life, academics and registration, and safety and well-being. NSO also gives you the opportunity to meet classmates and orientation staff.
Residence Life and Housing
On-campus housing is available to first-year students, transfer students, upperclass students, and graduate students and their families. This site also provides information regarding off-campus housing.
- Registration for Undergraduate Students
- Academic Course List
- Academic Advisement for Undergraduate Students
- Academic Success @ UD Information on offices across campus providing resources to support students seeking to maximize their academic success.
- For recipients of VA Education Benefits: Financial assistance (reimbursement up to $1200) is available for tutoring.
- UD Library: Veterans & Military Resources
A comprehensive overview of online resources in support of those who serve/have served. Topics include Deployment & Homecoming, Education & Employment, Health & Medical Resources, History, Minority & Women Veterans, Veterans Support, Welcome Home Parades, and links to relevant articles and databases.
- Center for Counseling and Student Development: Provides programs and services designed to contribute to your personal, educational and career development.
- Office of the Dean of Students: Promotes student wellness, cultivates student engagement, and advocates for students' success.
- Office of Disability Support Services: Provides reasonable academic and housing accommodations to students with psychological, medical, ADHD/learning disabilities, and physical disabilities.
- Student Health Services: On-campus location for your health-related needs.
- Student Wellness & Health Promotion: Provides education, programs and services for students which develop personal wellness skills and address common issues such as stress management, alcohol/drug use, and sexual safety.
Jobs and Careers
- Career Services Center: Assists students with major and career choice, the graduate school application process, and the internship/job search.
- Suiting Warriors: Can provide veterans with professional attire that will help them to compete in the workforce.
- Troops to Teachers: Designed to assist separating or retiring military personnel in pursuing a rewarding second career in public education (elementary, secondary or vocational) while also facilitating employment in public schools.
- Blue Hen Veterans: Registered Student Organization (RSO) for student veterans at UD.
Ensuring an effective response to your student veterans’ needs.
- Student Deployment
- Working with Student Veterans
- For Faculty and Staff Supporting Student Veterans
- Mental Health Crisis Resources for Veterans
Connections for you and yours in the community and beyond.
- Military OneSource Transition Assistance Provides comprehensive information on every aspect of military life, including transitioning into civilian life.
- Higher Education Resources for Veterans and Their Families A comprehensive guide on navigating higher education that can help you prepare yourself for college.
- Student Veterans of America The parent organization of UD’s Blue Hen Veterans.
- Delaware Commission of Veterans Affairs Helps veterans and their family members obtain benefits, working with other government agencies/civic organizations.
- Delaware Center for Homeless Veterans Provides housing and supportive services.
- Delaware Joining Forces A military and community partnership for service members, veterans, and their families. Includes a search tool for veteran-related community services in Kent, Sussex, and New Castle counties.
- Delaware 2-1-1 Provides a central resource for access to the health and human service organizations that offer support for all.
- Wilmington VA Medical Center Provides comprehensive services ranging from preventive screenings to long-term care. Wilmington VAMC serves veterans in multiple locations for convenient access to services.
- VVeterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) A tool to help you find the post most convenient to you.
- Share Your Experiences With Other Veteran Students Many veterans around the country are going to college. Share your experience, and learn from others.