Explore potential careers and develop industry specific skills for success in the Education Community. Career Services offers individual counseling, job and internship resources, networking events, and professional development opportunities to help students succeed. Below is a quick snapshot of relevant industries, career outlook, community specific resources, and related Registered Student Organizations to help direct students along their career path in the Education Community.
OCCUPATIONS & BROAD INDUSTRIES:
- Adult Education
- Coaching/Athletic Administration
- College Administration & Student Affairs
- Curriculum Development
- Education/School Administration
- Education Advicacy
- English as a Second Language Teaching
- Libraries/Information & Media Services
- Pre-K & K-12 Teaching (Public, Charter & Private/Independent Schools)
- School Administration
- School Counseling & School Psychology
- Teaching Abroad
- Vocational Education
- Youth Development
- Project Search: Careers for Teachers
The annual teacher job fair held each spring at the University of Delaware which is co-sponsored by Career Services and the University Council on Teacher Education (UCTE).
- Office of Certification and Accreditation at the University of Delaware
Contains links to certification procedures, testing requirements, informational meetings, etc.
- State Departments of Education and Certification Information
Contact information for state DOE's and steps and requirements for certification in each state.
- From Campus to Classroom
A helpful job search guide for teacher education majors
Job Search Resources/Tools by State
- Join Delaware Schools
- Kelly Educational Staffing and the Substitute Teacher Service
Two agencies that provide substitute teachers to many Delaware public and private schools.
- Maryland State Dept. of Education (MSDE)
- Pennsylvania Department of Education
- PA-REAP (PA- Regional Educational Applicant & Placement Program)
Part of the National School Applications Network, this is a free service. Candidates interested in Pennsylvania public school employment are strongly encouraged to utilize this tool.
- Teacher Catapult (Pennsylvania)
- Teaching in PA
Powered by USTeach, NJHire is a must for candidates interested in employment opportunities in New Jersey school systems. Candidates seeking jobs in New Jersey school systems are strongly encouraged to enter their resumes into this database.
- NJ SchoolJobs.Com
- OLAS/On-Line Application System (New York)
- Math for America (New York)
- CT-REAP (CT- Regional Educational Applicant & Placement Program)
Part of the National School Applications Network, this is a free service to teacher candidates. Candidates interested in Connecticut public school employment are strongly encouraged to utilize this tool.
- Connecticut Education Association
- Massachusetts Educators Career Center (MECC)
Job seekers may create their own ELAR (Educator Licensure and Recruitment) account to post a resume and use other features of the MECC.
TeachNOLA is a highly selective program that trains professionals and college graduates to become teachers in New Orleans' highest needs schools.
Additional Job Search Resources / Tools
- AAEE Job Board
Job postings and the opportunity to upload your resume into a centralized database for review by school districts across the country (UD is a member of AAEE, the American Association for Employment in Education)
A resource for candidates pursuing positions in charter schools nationwide.
- Council for Exceptional Children
Click on "Career Center" for job search information (located under the "Professional Development" tab).
A comprehensive site for those pursuing K-12 teaching, administrative or support jobs.
- Education Week
A personal job search tool for educators; includes a very helpful "Career Corner" blog.
- Great Teacher
Allows users to search a job bank for openings according to state or key word.
Thousands of job postings from schools/school districts across the United States. Free to job seekers.
- National Public School & School District Locator
Identify schools, school districts and Federal program information by searching respective databases.
A helpful employment source for educators.
- Teach for America
Teachers commit to teaching for two years in urban or rural schools.
- Teachers-Teachers.com - Teaching Jobs Nationwide
A free service for teacher candidates which allows individuals to post their resumes and view vacancies nationwide.
Provides job seekers with a job bank, chat boards, curriculum resources, and a lesson plan book. Users can receive e-mails on new vacancy listings and utilize internet career seminars.
Private/Independent School Information & Placement Services
- Carney, Sandoe & Associates
Provides teacher and administrator placement for U.S. and international independent schools. No fee is charged to candidates.
- National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Contains information about private schools, careers in independent school teaching, and related topics.
- Southern Teachers Agency
STA helps connect teachers to positions in private and independent schools in the South (no fee to candidates).
- Association of Pre-Professional Leaders in Education (APPLE)
- Secondary Educators of Tomorrow
- Student Association for the Education of Young Children (SAYEC)
- Academic Support Program Inspiring Renaissance Educators (ASPIRE)
To find out more about these RSOs and how to get involved, visit Student Central.
- Login to your Handshake account
- Choose "Personalize Handshake" at the top of your home screen
- Choose from 8 different industry focused communities
- Start learning about jobs, internships, and events that interest you
CONNECT WITH YOUR COMMUNITY TODAY
TOP TEN EMPLOYERS:
- Appoquinimink School District (DE)
- Boys & Girls Clubs
- Child, Inc.
- City Year
- Easter Seals
- Fairfax County Public Schools (VA)
- Howard County Public Schools (MD)
- State of Delaware
- Success Academy Charter Schools (NY)
- Teach for America