HELPING PROFESSIONS & EDUCATION
Explore potential careers and develop industry specific skills for success in the Helping Professions & Education Community. Career Services offers individual counseling, job and internship resources, networking events, and professional development opportunities to help students succeed. Below is a quick snapshot of relevant industries, career outlook, community specific resources, and related Registered Student Organizations to help direct students along their career path in the Helping Professions & Education Community.
OCCUPATIONS & BROAD INDUSTRIES:
- Adult Education
- Counseling & Therapy
- Curriculum Development
- Disabilities Services
- Early Childhood Education
- Education Administration
- Family & Community Services
- Higher Education
- K-12 Teaching (Public & Private)
- Libraries/Information Sciences
- School Administration
- Social Work
- Student Services
- Teaching Abroad
- Training & Development
- Vocational Education
- Youth Development
HELPING PROFESSIONS RESOURCES:
TEACHER EDUCATION RESOURCES:
- Project Search: Careers for Teachers
The annual teacher job fair held each spring at the University of Delaware which is co-sponsored by Career Services and the University Council on Teacher Education (UCTE).
- Office of Certification and Accreditation at the University of Delaware
Contains links to certification procedures, testing requirements, informational meetings, etc.
- State Departments of Education and Certification Information
Contact information for state DOE's and steps and requirements for certification in each state.
- From Campus to Classroom
A helpful job search guide for teacher education majors
Job Search Resources/Tools by State
- Join Delaware Schools
- Kelly Educational Staffing and the Substitute Teacher Service
Two agencies that provide substitute teachers to many Delaware public and private schools.
- Maryland State Dept. of Education (MSDE)
- Pennsylvania Department of Education
- PA-REAP (PA- Regional Educational Applicant & Placement Program)
Part of the National School Applications Network, this is a free service. Candidates interested in Pennsylvania public school employment are strongly encouraged to utilize this tool.
- Teacher Catapult (Pennsylvania)
- Teaching in PA
Powered by USTeach, NJHire is a must for candidates interested in employment opportunities in New Jersey school systems. Candidates seeking jobs in New Jersey school systems are strongly encouraged to enter their resumes into this database.
- NJ SchoolJobs.Com
- OLAS/On-Line Application System (New York)
- Math for America (New York)
- CT-REAP (CT- Regional Educational Applicant & Placement Program)
Part of the National School Applications Network, this is a free service to teacher candidates. Candidates interested in Connecticut public school employment are strongly encouraged to utilize this tool.
- Connecticut Education Association
- Massachusetts Educators Career Center (MECC)
Job seekers may create their own ELAR (Educator Licensure and Recruitment) account to post a resume and use other features of the MECC.
TeachNOLA is a highly selective program that trains professionals and college graduates to become teachers in New Orleans' highest needs schools.
Additional Job Search Resources / Tools
A resource for candidates pursuing positions in charter schools nationwide.
- Council for Exceptional Children
Click on "Career Center" for job search information (located under the "Professional Development" tab).
A comprehensive site for those pursuing K-12 teaching, administrative or support jobs.
- Education Week
A personal job search tool for educators; includes a very helpful "Career Corner" blog.
- Great Teacher
Allows users to search a job bank for openings according to state or key word.
Thousands of job postings from schools/school districts across the United States. Free to job seekers.
- National Public School & School District Locator
Identify schools, school districts and Federal program information by searching respective databases.
A helpful employment source for educators.
- Teach for America
Teachers commit to teaching for two years in urban or rural schools.
- Teachers-Teachers.com - Teaching Jobs Nationwide
A free service for teacher candidates which allows individuals to post their resumes and view vacancies nationwide.
Provides job seekers with a job bank, chat boards, curriculum resources, and a lesson plan book. Users can receive e-mails on new vacancy listings and utilize internet career seminars.
Private/Independent School Information & Placement Services
- Carney, Sandoe & Associates
Provides teacher and administrator placement for U.S. and international independent schools. No fee is charged to candidates.
- National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Contains information about private schools, careers in independent school teaching, and related topics.
- Southern Teachers Agency
STA helps connect teachers to positions in private and independent schools in the South (no fee to candidates).
- Association of Pre-Professional Leaders in Education (APPLE)
- Secondary Educators of Tomorrow
- Student Association for the Education of Young Children (SAYEC)
- Academic Support Program Inspiring Renaissance Educators (ASPIRE)
- Active Minds (mental health advocacy programs)
- American Red Cross Club
- Best Buddies
- Big Brothers/Big Sisters
- DFRC (Delaware Foundation Reaching Citizens with Intellectual Disabilities)
- Lori's Hands Project Change (community service/social change)
To find out more about these RSOs and how to get involved, visit Student Central.
- Login to your Handshake account
- Choose "Personalize Handshake" at the top of your home screen
- Choose from 8 different industry focused communities
- Start learning about jobs, internships, and events that interest you
CONNECT WITH YOUR COMMUNITY TODAY
TOP TEN EMPLOYERS:
- Appoquinimink School District (DE)
- Boys & Girls Clubs
- Child, Inc.
- City Year
- Easter Seals
- Fairfax County Public Schools (VA)
- Howard County Public Schools (MD)
- State of Delaware
- Success Academy Charter Schools (NY)
- Teach for America