These historic residence halls stand only feet away from Morris Library and Perkins Student Center and served as the original site of the Delaware Women's College in the early 1900s. No two rooms in South Central Green, also called South Central, are alike -- these buildings offer hardwood or tiled floors, high-rise ceilings, detailed molding, and gorgeous Colonial facades. Although they were built mid-century, all South Central Campus residence halls have been fully renovated.
Complex Community Council
Community councils are student-run student governments focused on advocacy, programming, and community service. Every area on campus has its own community council. Learn more about the Central Complex Community Council (C4).
Green Teams are student-run groups interested in learning more about environmental sustainability & hosting programs to promote environmental sustainability actions in residence halls. Learn more about the South Central Green Team.
Service Teams assist with their areas Weekly Service Initiative as well as partner with University entities or other local agencies to create additional service opportunities in their area. Each area on campus has a service organization they partner with. Eliphalet Gilbert, Louis L. Redding and Smyth serve the B+ Foundation, which helps fight childhood cancer.
The South Central Green was the home of the original Women’s College. Today, in place of faculty being required to live with students as chaperones, Resident Assistants and professional Residence Life & Housing staff partner with student to create a once in a lifetime community experience where students learn, contribute, thrive, and achieve their aspirations. The formal opening of the [women’s] college took place on October 10, 1914, which the Newark Post described as "the greatest day Delaware has ever known."1 The Post's editor, Everett C. Johnson, was the man who, as a student at Delaware College, had argued for co-education in the Aurora of 1898. The realization of the Women's College was a dream come true for Johnson and for his equally intellectual wife, the former Louise Staton.
An eager crowd of between 2,000 and 3,500 people, including the state's most distinguished men and women, gathered on that bright October day to see the two buildings, called Residence Hall and Science Hall, that had been erected for the new college and to witness the installation of Samuel Chiles Mitchell as president of Delaware College and Winifred Josephine Robinson as dean of the Women's College.
The dean had an inflexible rule that all female faculty of the college must live in residence, must take their meals with the students, and must serve as chaperones for student social events. Concomitantly, she forbade students to live off campus, unless they were commuters living with their parents or close relatives. Those ironclad rules were designed to provide the students with faculty role models who would instill in them a love of learning and introduce them to a richer cultural life than they had known previously.
Since its opening, the college had added several buildings: Sussex Residence Hall in 1916, Kent Dining Hall and New Castle Residence Hall in 1926, and the Gymnasium in 1930. In addition, the college maintained three "temporary" dormitory buildings, called by the whimsical names Topsy, Turvy, and Boletus, which had been constructed in the early 1920s to accommodate the increased student body. – Beneath Thy Guiding Hands, Carol Hoffecker