This page requires JavaScript to work properly.
Join us on FacebookFollow us on TwitterMy Housing

Room Changes

Types of Room Changes

  • A Mid-Semester Room Change is for students who wish to move to another room immediately, before the semester ends. We are not currently processing Mid-Semester Room Changes. For urgent situations, please contact your Residence Hall Coordinator/Hall Director or Complex Coordinator.
  • A Mid-Year Room Change is for students who wish to move to another room after Fall Semester. Mid-Year Room Changes will be available November 17-December 1.
  • A Room Change Before Fall Move-In is for students who wish to be reassigned before the Fall Semester begins and is available during the spring and summer.

Students who move from one hall or room type to a different hall or room type will be charged the published rate for the new space from the effective date of move-in.

Mid-Semester Room Change

If you wish to move during the semester, you must complete the Mid-Semester Room Change Form, starting in September. (Spring dates will be announced.)

You, the student, should initiate the Mid-Semester Room Change process by speaking to your Residence Hall Coordinator. You should expect to discuss your reasons for requesting a move as well as your preferences for a new location.

When the meeting is successfully completed, you will log in to the My Housing portal and will be able to see the Mid Semester Room Change form. You will indicate the new room and building you wish to move to, per your discussion with your Residence Hall Coordinator.

You will be notified by email of the status of your request, and whether it has been approved or denied. If your request is approved, you will receive instructions that a new key and access card are available for pick-up. At this point, you must make arrangements with your new Residence Hall Coordinator to pick up the new key and access card, and you must also arrange to return your key and access card to your current Residence Hall Coordinator. Students must move within forty-eight hours of room change notification.

Please note: Any freshman student who is approved and moves to a building designated as an upperclass building for the Spring Semester will be responsible for the published housing rate for that type of room from the effective date of the move. Rarely, exceptions are made to allow freshman students to move into Upper Division buildings during the Fall Semester.

Mid-Year Room Change

If you would like to move to another space after Fall semester, you may either participate in Mutual Room Exchange or may Find a Vacancy.

If you complete an assignment change for Winter/Spring in either Mutual Room Exchange or Find a Vacancy, you will be expected to move out of the your current room at the end of Fall Semester. Be sure to read the Moving Your Belongings section below.

November 17-December 1 (ended for 2014-2015)
For students living in First Year and Upper Division areas

Mutual Room Exchange allows you to swap rooms with another student. Students living in First Year areas may swap with other students living in First Year areas; students living in Upper Division areas may swap with other students living in Upper Division areas. To participate in Mutual Room Exchange, you will log in to the My Housing portal and Link to Infographicselect Mutual Room Exchange from the Student Home page.

You will post your current assignment and will list preferences for where you would like to live for the Winter/Spring. Note: your current roommate(s) will be informed that you have made your space available for exchange.

Once your space is posted, you can search for other available spaces and make or receive offers to exchange. Any student who has received an offer can accept that offer; however, the exchange is not complete until the student who initiated the offer finalizes the exchange by selecting "Swap" in the application.

Questions? See your Residence Hall Coordinator, or call us at (302) 831-HOME (4663) or email us at

Detailed instructions are also available in a handy infographic here (pdf) >>

November 17 - December 1 (ended for 2014-2015)
For students living in Upper Division areas only

Students who are interested in finding a vacancy on campus must come to the Residence Life & Housing office to discuss their options (times listed below). Availability is on a first-come, first-served basis. Bring your University ID.

Find A Vacancy Walk-In Hours

Week of 11/17 M, T, Th, F 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
  W 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Week of 11/24 M, T 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Week of 12/1 M 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.



Have a new housing assignment for Winter/Spring 2015? You must remove all of your belongings from your current room assignment at the end of the Fall semester and check out of your current assignment with a Residence Life & Housing staff member in your residence hall, including turning in your keys and access fob. See your RA if you have any questions about end-of-the-semester check out. Failure to vacate your current space properly could result in a late check-out fee ($150) and possible Student Conduct action.

If you have completed a Winter Session housing application, you should move in to your Winter/Spring assignment on the appropriate Winter Session move-in day.

If you are not living on campus during Winter Session, you should move in on the Spring semester move-in schedule.

Room Changes Before Fall Move-In

Room change information before fall 2015 will be announced over the summer.