Office of the Vice President

for Administration
 
Professional Advisory Council

Minutes March 12, 2008

Agenda items for the May 7, 2008 meeting need to be submitted to Gerald Hendricks
by May 2, 2008.

The meeting convened at 2:36 p.m. by Paul Pusecker.

PAC members present were:
Member District Member District
Paul Pusecker 1 Catherine Matthews 9
Janusz Murakowski 2  Barry Miller 10
Christina Mason Johnston 4 Derek Dolby 11
Maria Mullin 6 Suzanne Stanley 12
Vincent Shipman 7 Steve Dexter 13

Absent: Deborah Cohen #14
Substitute: Kathryn Corbett #3, Theresa DeRose #8
Others Present: Marcia Nickle,University Police Department; Ed Drozd, Internal Audit; Maxine Colm, Richie Holland and Cindy Delaney

Minutes

The January, 2008 minutes were approved as written.

Guest Speakers

First guest speaker, Marcia Nickle, Emergency Preparedness Coordinator; spoke with the members of PAC about the University’s Emergency Preparedness and Disaster Recovery Plan. Ms. Nickle informed PAC members that the University implemented a Critical Incident Management and Communication Plan in Fall of 2007. The University has also implemented a UDAlert notification system and has been conducting ongoing testing of that system. Ms. Nickle discussed some of the future plans she will be working on; adding a mission specific section to the plan which would include evacuations and shelters; closing of campus, debris management, providing information to the public as well as educating the public. Ms. Nickle will be working with external agencies such as the City of Newark, New Castle County and the State of Delaware to coordinate emergency and disaster recovery plans.

We will be working on threat and risk assessments with other universities both in Delaware and other states. Ms. Nickle will also be working with departments to develop a Contingency of Operations Plan for their area in the event of an emergency and will address such issues as critical functions, work space, emergency contact team for their area as well as “output – services provided to others and input – what department needs to provide those services”. The University will provide a web interface, departmental plans from 2002 as well as support from Ms. Nickle as tools to assist departments with preparing these plans. Ms. Nickle stated she will be meeting with groups on campus to facilitate these initiatives.

Second guest speaker, Ed Drozd, Internal Audit; spoke with members of PAC regarding the implementation of a compliance hotline for reporting financial concerns. Dr. Colm noted that the Board of Trustees wants a good accounting procedure in place for reporting concerns employees may have about financial, accounting and auditing issues. The University has partnered with a third party vendor, EthicsPoint to help facilitate this process. The use of such anonymous reporting systems is a “best business practice” and reports can be made by anyone 24 hours a day, seven days week via telephone at 1-888-366-6033 or on the web at http://www.udel.edu/compliance/or through the EthicsPoint web site, http://www.ethicspoint.com. The University will be distributing information on Principles of Responsible Conduct.

Constituent Concerns
Mr. Murakowski and constituents raised concerns with what they see as a disturbing trend of changes in the past six months regarding the Universities regulations and/or their interpretation of such areas as, Intellectual Property, export controls, conflict of interest, publication approval/freedom, ITAR and proposal approval. Dr. Colm will work with Mr. Murakowski to best address his concerns.

A constituent of Ms. Mullin’s raised a concern regarding Wellness Dollars and lunch time seminars. This constituent utilizes wellness dollars towards the funding of lockers and fitness classes, which does not leave any wellness dollars left over to pay for the lunch time seminars that are offered. The constituent has to pay out of pocket. The constituent suggested that instead of the giveaway at the luncheon maybe gift cards could be given away to be used towards other lunch time programs. Mr. Holland responded that the Wellness Center is a self supporting program and the fees are needed to support funding.


Committee Reports:

The Diversity Commission Meeting report for February 11, 2008 and March 10, 2008 were presented by Dr. Miller.

The President’s Commission to Promote Racial and Cultural Diversity Meeting
February 11, 2008 - 2:00-3:30 pm
413 Academy Street – Room 261

MEMBERS PRESENT: Maxine Colm, Jorge Cullibos, James Flatley, Norma Gaines-Hankes, Richie Holland, Francis Kwansa, Barry Miller, Kathleen Pohlig, Alir Poorani, Havidan Rodriguez, Virginia Thomas, Terry Whittaker, Barbara Williams, Kim Zitner
MEMBERS EXCUSED: Susan Lee, David Pong, Ardeshir Faghri, Kassandra Moye

WELCOME

The meeting was called to order by Dr. Maloba, the Diversity Committee Chair. Dr. Maloba introduced his new assistant, Connie Santora.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

A) Dr. Maloba announced the upcoming Diversity Committee meeting dates and guest speakers      which are as follows:

• March 10 – Michael Gilbert – Vice President of Student Life.
• April 14 we will have two guest speakers: A) Dr. Carolyn Thoroughgood – Vice Provost for          Research & Graduate Studies, and B) Havidan Rodriguez – Vice Provost for Academic Affairs and International Programs
• May 12 – Dr. Nancy Targett – Dean of the College of Marine & Earth Sciences
• June date has not been set but we will hold our monthly June Meeting at the Blue & Gold club as a     lunch meeting.

B) The next announcement was that the Louis J. Redding Lecture will take place March 13 from 5-7 pm in the Trabant University Theatre.

Dr. Maloba informed everyone that he was very pleased to have scheduled Professor Frank Wu, Dean of the School of Law Wayne State University, as the guest speaker for this year’s lecture. He is one of the most respected analysts on the question of diversity in the country and has been featured in many magazines and programs around the nation. He’ll be speaking on race in the United States -- beyond black and white.

Dr. Maloba relayed to everyone that we are in the process of creating the poster for the Louis Redding Lecture and once again he is calling on the Diversity Commission to advertise this lecture as much as they can. We will send out letters of invitations and we need to do all that we can in an effort to attract a bigger attendance.

Dr. Maloba asked if the Commission wants to consider giving the Louis J. Redding Award this year? A discussion followed:

He reminded everyone that this award is not given every year and had in fact not been given for the last few years. It is given as appropriate. Dr. Maloba said he is looking for feedback from each member of the committee to submit names of people or institutions who deserve the award and based on the feedback from the Commission he can decide how to proceed.

Havidan Rodriquez posed the question as to how we can we work together to get the word out about this very important lecture because last year it was not well attended. Dr. Maloba said we need help in getting word to the deans and then for the deans to get the word to the students.

There followed a lengthy discussion on advertisement for the Award, publicity of the Award to the wider UD community several months in advance soliciting for nominations, etc. Students need to be informed of both the Redding Lecture and the Redding Diversity Award. Dr. Maloba reiterated that we will try very hard to reach the students.

After a lengthy discussion, Dr. Maloba took a vote as to whether or not we should advertise to receive nominations. It was a unanimous “yes”.

C) The next announcement was regarding the Reception for Minority Faculty & Staff on Boards of Local Non-Governmental Organizations. Invitations have gone out for the reception which will take place on February 29 – from 4:30-6:00 pm in the President’s Room of the Blue & Gold Club. The purpose is to introduce Ms. Cynthia Primo Martin, a member of the UD’s Board of Trustees, to those minority faculty/and senior staff who have agreed to serve on boards of local non-profit organizations.
A reminder will be sent out later in the month.

D) The final announcement was the dates and times of the Students of Distinction ceremonies this year.

The Latino Students of Distinction Ceremony will take place Saturday, April 26, 2008 in the Rodney Room of the Perkins Student Center from 2-4 pm

The African American Students of Distinction Ceremony will take place May 11, 2008 in Clayton Hall from 2-4 pm

Dr. Maloba said that he expects many from the Commission to attend these ceremonies as usual.

MAIN POINT OF AGENDA

Dr. Maloba informed the Commission that President Harker is forming a Task Force on Diversity that is parallel to the Task Force on Strategic Planning. Dr. Maloba said that President Harker relayed this to him personally about two months ago.

President Harker said one of the main issues coming up again and again in general discussions and also in representations to the Strategic Planning Task Force was Diversity. It has therefore become apparent to President Harker that a comprehensive review of Diversity at UD is needed. The two Commissions that are going to be charged with handling this matter are the Commission on the Status of Women and this Commission.

As we all know, the question of diversity has occupied this campus for a long time, and President Harker wants to develop a comprehensive understanding of Diversity at UD with specific recommendations to move this issue forward. The question of diversity and strategic planning are intimately connected.

Dr. Maloba informed the members of the Diversity Commission that several of its members have been selected to serve on the Task Force. Not everybody has been contacted so names cannot be disclosed

at this point. Letters will be sent from the President’s Office inviting members to serve on the Task Force. Dr. Maloba said he could share the names of two members of the President’s Task Force and they are Pam Cook (Chair of the Commission on the Status of Women), and himself.

The Commission is going to play a central role in the functioning of this Task Force. The Task Force will consult with the Commission on several matters, including how diversity has been conceptualized in the past at UD. The formation of this Task Force is an example of the President being pro-active and endeavoring to find solutions to some of the most difficult issues advocated by the Commission for a long time.

DISCUSSION

A member of the Commission asked if the formation of this Task Force was a negative reflection on the Diversity Commission and posed the question: “Does the President think we are not doing our job.”

Dr. Maloba assured the Commission this is not the case. The President gave the assignment initially to the Commission but now there has been a modification to the charge. So the Commission will be intimately involved with the work of the Task Force but other constituents will be called in to participate. Dr. Maloba stated that the President has a tremendous amount of respect for the Commission. There is no doubt that the Commission will play a very important role in the work of the Task Force.

Another question raised: “Is there a time frame for the Task Force to be working with these issues before turning it back over to the Commission or will this be a permanent body that will work side by side with the Commission?”

Dr. Maloba responded that this is just a Task Force for this particular work/assignment. The existence of the Commission is not going to be abolished.

Dr. Colm stated that she thinks that the Strategic Planning initiative which will shape the way we think for many years to come. Dr. Colm’s sense is that the Diversity Task Force will be a companion piece to the Strategic Planning initiative and will function in much the same way as the current Strategic Planning Committee.

Dr. Maloba said he believes the formation of the Task Force demonstrates that the President thinks well of the Commission, and the work that it has done in advocating for diversity at UD.

The Task Force will require a lot of cooperation from the Commission. This cooperation will ensure the successful completion of its mission. It is important for Commission members not to lose sight of this crucial fact. Dr. Maloba urged members of the Commission to offer as much help and cooperation as may be needed by the Task Force.

ADJOURNMENT

After a very interesting and lively discussion the meeting was adjourned by Dr. Maloba at 3:20.

The next meeting is scheduled for March 10 at 2:00 pm in Room 261 Academy Street.

The President’s Commission to Promote Racial and Cultural Diversity Meeting
March 10, 2008 - 2:00-3:30 pm
413 Academy Street – Room 261

MEMBERS PRESENT: Jorge Cullibos, James Flatley, Barry Miller, Kathleen Pohlig, Ali Poorani, Havidan Rodriguez, Barbara Williams, Kim Zitner, Susan Lee
MEMBERS EXCUSED: Maxine Colm, Norma Gaines-Hanks, Richie Holland, Virginia Thomas, Francis Kwansa, Terry Whittaker, Ardeshir Faghri, David Pong

GUEST SPEAKERS: Dr. Michael Gilbert, Vice President for Student Life
Mr. Andrew Clark, Treasurer of Haven, University of DE

WELCOME

The meeting was called to order by Dr. Maloba, Chair of the Diversity Commission. Dr. Maloba welcomed Dr. Michael Gilbert, VP for Student Life. Dr. Maloba asked Dr. Gilbert if he could come back again since so many members of The Commission were unable to attend today’s meeting and because Student Life is such an important part of University life.

Dr. Maloba also welcomed guest speaker Andrew Clark, from the Haven Student Organization.

AGENDA – Part I – Guest Speaker – Dr. Michael Gilbert, VP for Student Life

Dr. Gilbert’s talk was focused on two areas: a report on what has been done in the review of the diversity education initiative in the halls of residence, and on the new student orientation program which will in future report to Student Life.

Residence Life - As is now well known, last ‘Fall President Harker suspended the diversity education initiative in the halls of residence, in order to allow for a review of the program. This review, which is now underway, has made significant progress.

Dr. Gilbert stated that the review committee is working closely with the Faculty Senate Committee on Student Life. The review committee would like to take a much more integrated approach, especially in the new student orientation program. One of the questions that the review committee would like to explore is how Residence Life fits into the foundational experience of students. Also promoted is the idea of encouraging students to be more involved in on-campus activities. As an example, during the Black History Month, Student Life will work very closely the staff planning the events so that all students can be encouraged to participate.

An important part of the mission of Student Life, and especially of Residence Life, will remain to be a strong commitment to the notion of supporting and creating a diverse community for UD students.

There will be no programs that are mandatory. In attempting to increase the range of activities available to students, Student Life is faced with the problem of limited resources. Several proposals have been made to solve this problem. As an example, a proposal has been made to the President to increase the student activity fee on campus and increase the base of fee payers, and to also include summer school students in paying a fee.

Dr. Gilbert informed The Commission that Delaworld and New Student Orientation will move to Student Life. Another imminent change is the creation of the position of Assistant Vice President for Student Life. Dr. Gilbert asked The Commission for ideas and in-put on the range of activities that could be part of new student orientation.

If the proposal to increase the comprehensive fee is successful, more funds will be allocated to the RSOs. A big portion of any new fee money would be allocated to the RSOs so they would have more operating funds. Student groups that are active and have resources typically do really well.

Dr. Gilbert hoped that the soon to be formed Task Force on Diversity would be helpful to Student Life by: suggesting new activities and also new areas that need further investigation.

AGENDA - PART II - Andrew Clark is Treasurer of Haven

Andrew explained that Haven is the GLBT QQIAA group which translated means: Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex, Queer, Questioning, Asexual and Allies.

He addressed The Commission with his concerns which are primarily that the Haven Board has become bogged down in the amount of things they have to do without enough administrative support from the University. Haven is one of the only big 12 student organizations that do not have a professional staff advisor or faculty advisor. It has an active membership of 75 and inactive membership up to about 500.

Haven has put together three proposals in an effort to have a professional staff advisor to help with contracts, meetings, etc. Haven is requesting The Commission’s support in getting one of the proposals presented to the UD Administration.

Dr. Maloba thanked Andrew, for coming and told him that The Commission will take up his issue. The Commission will maintain contact with Dr. Gilbert on this issue. It is also important to wait for recommendations from the Task Force on Diversity which may positively affect the request made by Haven.

DISCUSSION

Several issues were covered in the discussion after the formal presentations.

1. Dr. Gilbert mentioned that there is a group of faculty and students who have worked closely with Student Life in the review and reformulation of the education initiative currently suspended. This group is called the “Residence Education Advisory Committee”. Much of the plan has evolved as a result of feedback from faculty, staff and students. The document will eventually be forwarded to the Faculty Senate for endorsement. Dr. Gilbert stated that this review has to be seen as an annual process. Each year, Student Life will approach the Student Life Committee of the Faculty Senate for their in-put on proposals for change in the document.
2. How is the proposed program different from the one that was suspended? Dr. Gilbert said that among the ideas contained in the proposed plan are the following: sustainability (including a sustainable/green campus); the question of reparations (with faculty involvement as organizers and facilitators); same sex programs. The aim is to expose students to these issues and let them examine different points of view and perspectives and not tell them there is only one right conclusion to arrive at.
3. How about presentation of the material? In the new format, Residence Life will move away from the previous format which in some cases had ill equipped staff entrusted with leading sophisticated and controversial discussions. Also, in some cases we suggested to the students that there was only one right point of view. Both of these practices will not continue in the new format/initiative. In discussions about these crucial issues, it is wrong to state that there is only one point of view endorsed by Student Life. In order to avoid pitfalls of the past, there will be no mandatory programs.
.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

1) Activities Related to the Louis Redding Lecture

The lecture has been widely advertised; several times on UDaily, the Newark Post as well as the Review which is the student newspaper. We have sent flyers to all dorms. and throughout the university.

We have chosen someone to win the Louis Redding Award but we are not going to announce the winner at this time.

Lunch with Professor Wu will be hosted by Dr. David Pong in the President’s Room, Blue and Gold Club, at 12 Noon on 3/13/08. Some members of the Commission and faculty from the East Asian Studies Program will attend

We have put our best foot forward and we believe it will be well attended. The speaker is very well known and very well respected.

2) The Students of Distinction Celebrations Update:

Invitations have gone out for the Latino Students of Distinction Ceremony to be held April 26, 2008 from 2-4 PM in the Perkins Student Center. If you have not responded, take a minute to respond.

We have reserved the same musician who played at last year’s ceremony, Michael Simmons. Our guest speaker for the Latino Ceremony will be Dr. J. P. Laurenceau, Chair of the Latino/Hispanic Caucus.

Invitations for the African American Students of Distinction to be held May 11 from 2-4 pm in Clayton Hall will go out on March 17th. Again, when you receive your invitation, please take a minute to respond.

Dr. Maloba has contacted Maria Robinson of the music department and she will supply us the names of the musicians for this ceremony.

Guest speaker will be Dr. Norma Gaines-Hanks, Assistant Professor of Individual & Family Studies.

This is the first time the President will be meeting the parents of the Students of Distinction, so we are trying to put our best foot forward!

3) Diversity Task Force

The Diversity Task Force has been formed. The first meeting is March 19th.

ADJOURNMENT

The meeting was adjourned at approximately 3:20 pm

The Faculty Senate Meeting report for February 11, 2008 and March 3, 2008 were presented by Mr. Hendricks.

Faculty Senate Meeting, February 11, 2008
Provost Rich opened the meeting with an Historical Overview of Strategic Faculty Indicators showing trends ranging from 1991-2007. The charts indicate the growth of full-time and part-time faculty and illustrate full-time faculty by rank, tenure status, college, gender, ethnicity and sponsored activity. His presentation can be found at the Faculty Senate website [www.facsen.udel.edu] under “Information from the Provost's Office.”

A few highlights:

  • Faculty have increased by over 200
  • Sponsored activity has increased from $51M to $156M
  • Women faculty have increased from 292 to 424

    In addition, The Delaware Forum on May 10 was announced by Provost Rich. It will be an all day event following Honors Day where President Harker will discuss the results of the Strategic Planning initiative, and present his vision for the future.

    Havidán Rodríguez, vice provost for academic affairs and international programs, followed with a report of a task force that studied UD Online courses. Online classes have increased more that 25 percent for each of the five years of existence. The recommendations for Fall 2008 are:

  • Academic departments are to set up a systematic process to insure online courses are evaluated
  • Students in online courses should not exceed the number of those registered in regular courses
  • Online courses must be authorized by assistant deans
  • Continue committee
  • Pay faculty in timely manor

  • Matt Robinson, president of the student life committee of the faculty senate, reported that a final report on the student life program will be issued in March. A program for spring has been approved, he said, and the student life committee and the Faculty Senate will be asked to approve the final plan proposed for 2008-09.
    Consent agenda items and resolutions were approved unanimously.

    Faculty Senate Meeting, March 3, 2008
    Provost Rich reported that an ongoing review of the FYE (First Year Experience) is using focus groups to engage various viewpoints. A pilot program is expected to be implemented next year.
    Rich continued his presentation on Strategic University Indicators which is available on the Faculty Senate website. A few highlights:

  • Record applications received for Fall 2008 – over 24,000, 2,500 from Delaware
  • Average GPA of applicants is 3.6 – a steady increase from 3.00 in 1991
  • Graduate student admissions has fallen from a peak of 7,200 in 2003 to 4,900 due primarily to post       9/11 restrictions
  • Graduate student support has grown to $27 M from $13 M in 1998
  • Graduate student minimum stipend now $14,500, up from $9,000 in 1997

  • Leila Lyons reported on the WebCT problems that required the system to be taken off line for about one week at the beginning of the semester. Blackboard, the current vendor, only has a single support person in Vancouver British Columbia assigned to WebCT. “Full support” will end in Oct 2009 so an alternative has been under review. Sakai has been tested in courses by a number of faculty as a replacement. Fred Hofstetter gave a presentation and glowing review of Sakai and how to incorporate course content into Sakai. An online movie demonstrating his experiences can be found at http://www.udel.edu/fth/sakai
    Dr. Rich announced that the University will make an official announcement soon that Sakai will replace WebCT although the transition will be gradual.
    Matt Robinson, chair of the committee on student life reported on the assessment of the residence life program. The previous program failed due to lack of oversight by faculty, and the perception that it was mandatory. A program should continue to be offered, but it should be taught by either a certified professional or faculty member, and should be clearly stated that it is optional. An older program is being used for spring 2008 while a new program is being developed for 2008-09. The final program should be brought to the Faculty Senate for approval at the April meeting.
    The consent agenda and resolutions were passed unanimously and two items were offered for a future agenda.

    The meeting adjourned at 4:15pm.

    The Parking Advisory Board report for March 6, 2008 was presented by Therese DeRose.

    Parking Advisory Committee 2008
     

    Revenues and Expenses 
    FY09
    Projected Revenues
    Projected Expenses
    $4,734,400.00
     
    $5,303,076.00
     
    FY08
    Projected Revenues
    Projected Expenses
    $4,595,200.00
     
    $4,598,916.00
     
    FY07
    Actual Revenues
    Actual Expenses
    $4,769,096.00
     
    $5,152,661.00
     

    FY08 Budget:

    Income from the CFA garage is still lacking when compared with our other garages. We did not see a dramatic increase as we had hoped for when performances would be regularly scheduled in the Roselle Center for the Arts. A recommendation will be put forth later on in this document to help increase patronage of this garage.

    Once again we have not had to utilize a good deal of money for snow removal. Hopefully it will continue to be a moderate winter season.

    FY 09 Budget:

    The projected budget for the transportation department is over 1.4 million dollars.

    The debt service for the garages will be over 1.5 million dollars.

    We will continue to work with grounds and facilities to determine what parking lot repairs, expansion, and equipment upgrades are needed.

    RECOMMENDATIONS

    Establish a new commuter gate permit that would allow a commuter to park in the CFA garage from 7 am to 6 pm, Monday through Friday. The cost for FY09 for this permit would be $328, which is 70% of what an employee pays for a gate lot. Miscellaneous wage workers would also be eligible for this permit. We would make 200 of these permits available.

    The charge to park in the Trabant garage would increase to $.75 a half hour. The
    Trabant garage is premium parking, thus the higher fee.

    We propose that permits be increased by 4% for FY09.

    Raise validations to 75% of the cash rate.

    Establish academic year gold and red permits. The fee for these permits would be 75% of the rate.

    Increase the fines on the following violations;

                Meter fines- $15.00
                Lacks valid permit- $30.00
                Handicap violation- $100.00
                Fire lane violation- $75.00
                Fraudulent registration/theft of services- $75.00

    Type FY 2008 FY 2009
    Blue Free Free
    Red     97.00   101.00
    Gold   300.00   312.00
    Resident Student   416.00   433.00
    Gate Lot   450.00   468.00
    7-5 Reserved 1,050.00 1,092.00
    24 Hr. Reserved 1,368.00 1,425.00
    Student Gate   612.00   637.00
    Motorcycle     58.00     61.00

    New Business
    None

    Announcements
    None

    Meeting adjourned at 3:40 p.m.

    Respectfully submitted by,
    Cindy Delaney
    Reviewed by Mr. Holland

     

    ................................................................................
    PAC Minutes
    PAC-SSAC Home
    VP Finance & Administration Home
    University of Delaware Home