H4 Visa Information
The spouse and unmarried, minor children (under 21 years of age) of an H-1B holder. The principal applicant must be able to show that he or she will be able to support his or her family in the U.S. A person who has received an H4 visa as the spouse or child of a temporary worker may not accept employment in the U.S. H-4 dependents may study in the U.S.either part-time or full-time. However, the duration of their study depends on the H-1B’s period of stay. it is recommended that H4 visa holders who would like to continue studying on full-time basis beyond the H-1B’s period of stay or would like to apply for practicum/on-campus employment, change their status to F-1.
Applying For H4 Visa Stamp
Depending on the embassy/consulate abroad, foreign nationals should anticipate up to one week's processing time for a visa. Visa wait times for interview appointments and visa processing time information for each U.S. Embassy or Consulate worldwide are available at the Department of State Website.
In order for the foreign national to apply for an H4 visa, the following documents must be submitted available for inspection at the closest U.S. embassy/consulate to the place of residence:
- Form DS-160 ("Online Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application").
- Receipt of the nonimmigrant Visa Application fee (fees); a visa issuance fee (might be applicable)
- A passport sized photograph for each applicant (photo requirements).
- Original valid passport for each applicant with a validity date at least six months beyond the applicant's intended period of stay in the United States (unless country-specific agreements provide exemptions). If more than one person is included in the passport, each person desiring a visa must complete an application. .
- Copy of the H-1B's Form I-797.
- If applied for change of status or extended H4 while in the U.S., provide the original I-797-approval notice of the change of status.
- Letter from the H1B's department indicating that he/she is currently employed (dates and salary are necessary).
- It is also recommended that the foreign national carry proof of ties to their home country such as home or property ownership, bank accounts or other financial assets. These are supplemental documents and should be available in case the visa officer asks to examine them.
H4 Visa Extension
If the H4 visa holder is in the U.S., and H-1B is eligible and applies for an extension of stay, the dependent can apply for an extension of stay by filing Form I-539. When a Form I-539 for the principal's dependent spouse or child is filed concurrently with Form I-129, the entire I-129/I-539 package is filed with the Service Center that handles the Form I-129. If the principal's Form I-129 has already been filed without the I-539, and is currently pending or approved, the Form I-539 for the dependents can be filed seperatly.
Does the OISS offer any program services and guidance for dependents?
Yes! InterDepend is a group for individuals accompanying UD visa holders. You may be a spouse or child of a student, scholar or visitor to UD. You are unique, and it is our job here at UD to help you feel just as much at home as our own students and scholars. After all, you are part of the UD family! You can use this site http://sites.udel.edu/interdepend/ and our social media links to stay connected with others accompanying UD visa holders
Take the Welcome Survey to tell us a bit about you and how we can make UD a rewarding experience.