Scholars, Staff & Faculty:
In accordance with the University's Path to Prominence ™ global initiative, UD has witnessed a dramatic increase in its international population.In fact, the international population has nearly doubled over the past five years. This increased globalization has provided immeasurable benefits to the University community but also requires an increased need for services to support international students, scholars, faculty and staff. Toward this end, the UD Board of Trustees approved a new international service fee effective September 1st, 2011.
Revenues from the fee will be utilized to ensure that OISS can comply with federal regulations and reporting requirements while providing enhanced programs, advising and services that are of direct benefit to UD's international population.
Some of the enhanced services (for Fall and Spring of 2011 and 2012) include:
- Support OISS operations with additional staff to better serve the growing international community.
- Provide faster document processing and implementation of a more comprehensive communication network.
- Offer enhanced advising services on a variety of matters including immigration, campus life, and personal concerns.
- Assure continued access to Social Security for workers by bringing the necessary services to campus or taking them to the Social Security office.
Some of the new services we hope to provide in the future (Spring of 2012 and beyond) include:
- Workshops and publications designed to provide information and assistance on a wide variety of topics of concern to international students, scholars and employees.
- Support social events to encourage international population to interact with the University community at large.
- Provide services to help the families who join our students, scholars, staff and faculty so they do not feel isolated in a new country.
- Improve referral assistance for international individuals who require services such as housing.
Individuals Impacted by the International Service Fee
- International visiting scholars and employees requiring a visa from the University of Delaware.
The fee structure for international Scholars, Staff and Faculty is as follow:
- $100 per application for J-1 visiting scholars.
- $250 per application for H1B employees. (in addition to the filling fees)
- $500 per application for permanent residency applications.***
*** Fees are in addition to any legal costs associated with the preparation and filing of necessary petitions and applications for which the University is entitled by law to charge a fee.
Because this is an application fee it will be assessed for each application. Departments can choose to cover the fee for visiting scholars and employees by filling out the Department Fee Payment Form. Employees can choose to have the fees deducted from their paycheck by filling out the Payroll Deduction Authorization Form .
Thank you for your continuing support of UD's international population. If you have any questions regarding this fee or the services of OISS, please contact:
Immigration Services Coordinator
Office for International Students & Scholars