Undergraduate & Graduate students:
In accordance with the University's Path to Prominence ™ global initiative, UD has witnessed a dramatic increase in its international population.In fact, the international population has nearly doubled over the past five years. This increased globalization has provided immeasurable benefits to the University community but also requires an increased need for services to support international students, scholars, faculty and staff. Toward this end, the UD Board of Trustees approved a new international service fee of $100 per semester for graduate and undergraduate students effective Fall 2011.
Revenues from the fee will be utilized to ensure that OISS can comply with federal regulations and reporting requirements while providing enhanced programs, advising and services that are of direct benefit to UD's international population.
Some of the enhanced services (for Fall and Spring of 2011 and 2012) include:
- Support OISS operations with additional staff to better serve the growing international community.
- Expand welcome services for new international students, designed to acquaint students with the University and community, and assist in an easy transition and adjustment to life in the United States.
- Provide faster document processing and implementation of a more comprehensive communication network.
- Offer enhanced advising services on a variety of matters including immigration, campus life, and personal concerns.
- Assure continued access to Social Security for student workers by bringing the necessary services to campus or taking the students to the Social Security office.
Some of the new services we hope to provide in the future (Spring of 2012 and beyond) include:
- Workshops and publications designed to provide information and assistance on a wide variety of topics of concern to international students, scholars and employees.
- Support social events to encourage international students to interact with the University community at large.
- Provide services to help the families who join our students, scholars and employees so they do not feel isolated in a new country.
- Improve referral assistance for international individuals who require services such as housing.
Individuals Impacted by the International Service Fee
- All international students (non-US citizens) except for permanent residents.
- Continuing Education and part- time international students.
- Graduate students in sustaining status.
The fee structure for international students is is available at http://www.udel.edu/finaid/files/1112mandfees.pdf
The International Service Fee will be billed automatically to the
student's account upon enrollment. For information on payment methods,
please visit the Student Financial Services website:
Funded graduate students can choose to deduct the fee from their stipend by submitting the payroll deduction form.
Thank you for your continuing support of UD's international population. If you have any questions regarding this fee or the services of OISS, please contact:
Immigration Services Coordinator
Office for International Students & Scholars