Health, Nutrition, & Exercise Sciences
Office: 231 McDowell Hall Lab: 232 McDowell Hall
- Cardiovascular physiology
- Oxidative stress, nutritional interventions and exercise
- PhD, University of Florida, 2003
- MS, University of Connecticut, 1997
- BS, University of Connecticut, 1993
- 2007- present Assistant Professor, Department of Health, Nutrition, and Exercise Science, University of Delaware, Newark, DE, 19716
- 2005 – 2007 Supplemental Faculty, Department of Health, Nutrition, and Exercise Science, University of Delaware, Newark, DE, 19716
- 2003 – 2005 Postdoctoral Fellow, Myocardial Biology Lab, Whitaker Cardiovascular Institute, Boston University Medical Center, Boston, MA
- 2004 Adjunct Faculty, Department of Kinesiology, University of New Hampshire, Durham, NH
- 2001 – 2003 Research Associate, Department of Exercise and Sport Science, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
- 1999 – 2001 Adjunct Faculty, Science for Health Professions, Santa Fe Community College, Gainesville, FL
- 1999 – 2001 Research Assistant, Department of Exercise and Sport Science, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
- 1995 – 1997 Research Assistant, Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT
- 1996 – 1997 Teaching Assistant, Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT
- 1995 – 1997 Club Nutritionist, Court House Plus Health Club, Vernon, CT
- 1994 – 1995 Assistant Coordinator, Professional Cooking Training Program, Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT
- NTDT 200, Nutrition Concepts
- NTDT 250, Introduction to the Nutrition Care Process
- NTDT 450, Medical Nutrition Therapy I
- Carmeli, E., Moas, M., Lennon, S., and Powers, S.K. High intensity exercise increases expression of matrix metalloproteinases in fast skeletal muscle fibers. Exp. Physiol. 90(4):613-619, 2005.
- Lennon, S.L., J.C. Quindry, K.L. Hamilton, J.P. French, J. Hughes, J.L. Mehta, and S.K. Powers. Elevated MnSOD is not required for exercise-induced cardioprotection against myocardial stunning. Am. J. Physiol. Heart Circ Physiol. 287:H975-H980, 2004.
- Lennon, S.L., J.C. Quindry, J.P. French, D. Li, S.J. Kim, J.L. Mehta, and S.K. Powers. Exercise and myocardial tolerance to ischemia reperfusion. Acta Physiol. Scand. 182:161-169, 2004.
- Lennon, S.L ., J.C. Quindry, K.L. Hamilton, J.P. French, J. Staib, J.L. Mehta, and S.K. Powers. Loss of exercise-induced cardioprotection after cessation of exercise. J. Appl. Physiol. 96(4): 1299-1305, 2004.
- Edwards, D.G., R.S. Schofield, S.L. Lennon, G.L. Pierce, W.W. Nichols, and R.W. Braith. Effect of exercise training on endothelial function in men with coronary artery disease. Am. J. Cardiol. 93(5):617-620, 2004.
- Hamilton, K.H., J. Staib, T. Phillips, A. Hess, S. Lennon, and S.K. Powers. Exercise, antioxidants, and HSP72: protection against myocardial ischemia/reperfusion. Free Radic Biol Med. 34(7):800-809, 2003.
- Powers, S.K., S.L.Lennon, J. Quindry, and J.L. Mehta. Exercise and cardioprotection. Curr Opin Cardiol. 17(5):495-502, 2002
- Shanley, R.A., M.A. Zergerglu, S.L. Lennon, T. Sugiura, T. Yimlamai, D. Enns, A. Belcastro, and S.K. Powers. Mechanical ventilation-induced diaphragmatic atrophy is associated with oxidative injury and increased proteolytic activity. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 166(10):1369-1374, 2002.
- Miller, S.L., C.M. Maresh, L.E. Armstrong, C.B. Ebbeling, S. Lennon, and N.R. Rodriguez. Metabolic response to provision of mixed protein-carbohydrate supplementation during endurance exercise. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 12(4):384-397, 2002.
- Vincent K.R., H.K. Vincent, R.W. Braith, S.L. Lennon, and D.T. Lowenthal. Resistance exercise training attenuates exercise-induced lipid peroxidation in the elderly. Eur J Appl Physiol. 87(4-5):416-423, 2002.
- Vincent K.R., R.W. Braith,R.A. Feldman, P.M. Magyari, R.B. Cutler, S.A. Persin, S.L. Lennon, A.H. Md, and D.T. Lowenthal. Resistance exercise and physical performance in adults aged 60 to 83. J Am Geriatr Soc. 50(6):1100-7, 2002.
- Hamilton, K.L., S.K. Powers, T. Sugiura, S. Kim, S. Lennon, N. Tumer, and J.L. Mehta. Short-term exercise training can improve myocardial tolerance to I/R without elevation in heat shock proteins. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 281:H1346-H1352, 2001.
- Powers, S.K., and S.L. Lennon. Analysis of cellular responses to free radicals: focus on exercise and skeletal muscle. Proc Natl Nutr Soc. 28(4):1025-1033, 1999.
- American Dietetic Association
- Delaware Dietetic Association
- American Physiological Society
Honors and Awards
- Postdoctoral Fellowship from National Institutes of Health Training Grant to the Whitaker Cardiovascular Institute, Boston University Medical Center, Boston, MA, 2003 – 2005
- Young Investigator Recognition Award, Environmental and Exercise Physiology, The American Physiological Society, 2003
- Herman W. Schnell Graduate Student Award, College of Health and Human Performance, University of Florida, 2001-2002
- American College of Sports Medicine Student Scholarship, American College of Sports Medicine, 2000-2001
- Bristol-Meyers Squibb Student Scholarship, American Dietetic Association, 2000-2001
- Gatorade Sports Science Exchange Student Scholarship, American Dietetic Association, 1998-1999
- Polly Fitz Scholarship, American Dietetic Association, 1996-1997