Carlton G. Brown
School of Nursing
361 McDowell Hall
- PhD, University of Utah, Cancer Nursing Research, 2007.
- MSN, University of Pennsylvania, Oncology Advanced Practice (NP/CNS) Program, 2000
- BSN, University of Louisville, 1992
- Advanced Oncology Certified Nurse (AOCN)
- Oral Mucositis, Cancer Symptom Clusters, Army Nurse Corps Retention, Qualitative Methods, Visual Graphical Analysis.
Recent Research Activities
- The Effect of an Oral Care Protocol on Oral Mucositis in Patients with Head and Neck Cancer Treated with Radiotherapy, University of Delaware Research Foundation, 2009-2010.
- The Lived Experience of Oral Mucositis in Head and Neck Cancer Patients Treated with Radiation, ONS Small Grant, 2008-2010.
- Increasing Testicular Self-Examination in Active Duty Soldiers: An Intervention Study. Triservice Nursing Research Grant MDA 905-01-1-TS11 (N01-P11), Completed May 2005.
- Brown, C.G., Miller-Murphy, C., Norton, V. Baldwin, P. & Ponto, J. (2010). The value of oncology nursing certification. Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing, (In Press).
- Brown, C.G., Patrician, P. A., & Brosch, L. R. (2010). Increasing testicular self-examination in active duty soldiers: An intervention study. Med-Surg Nursing (In Press).
- Brown, C.G. (Editor) (2010). A Guide to Oncology Symptom Management. Oncology Nursing Society Publishing, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Brown, C.G. (2010). Mucositis. In C. Henke-Yarboro, B. Holmes-Gobel, & D. Wujcik (Eds.) Cancer Nursing Principles and Practice (7th ed.), Jones and Bartlett, Boston.
- Brown, C.G. (2010). Oral Mucositis. In C. Brown (Ed.) A Guide to Oncology Symptom Management (p. 333-334), Oncology Nursing Society Publishing, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Fairclough, S. & Brown, C.G. Electrolyte imbalances, Tumor Lysis, and SIADH. In C. Brown (Ed.) A Guide to Oncology Symptom Management (p.225-267), Oncology Nursing Society Publishing, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Jensen, S.B., Pedersen A.M.L., Vissink A, Andersen E, Brown C.G., et. al. (2010) A systematic review of salivary gland hypofunction and xerostomia induced by cancer therapies: incidence, severity and impact on quality of life. Journal of Supportive Care in Cancer, Online- 17 March 2010.
- Jensen, S.B., Pedersen A.M.L., Vissink A, Andersen E, Brown C.G., et. al. (2010) A systematic review of salivary glandhypofunction and xerostomia induced by cancer therapies: management strategies and economis impact. Journal of Supportive Care in Cancer, Online- 25 March 2010.
- Brown, C.G., McGuire, D., Peterson, D., Beck, S., Dudley, W.& Mooney, K.(2009) The experience of a sore mouth and associated symptoms in patients with cancer receiving outpatient chemotherapy. Cancer Nursing, 32(4):259-270.
- Visco, A., Meyer, L., & Brown, C.G. (2009). One disease, two lives: Exploring the treatment of breast cancer during pregnancy. Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing, 13(4):426-432.
- Brown, C.G., Beck, S.L., Peterson, D.E., Dudley, W., Mooney, K. (2009). Patterns of sore mouth in outpatients with cancer receiving chemotherapy, Supportive Care in Cancer, 17(4):413-428.
- Brown, C.G., McGuire, D.B, Peterson, D.E., Beck, S.L. & Mooney, K. Visual Graphical Analysis: A Technique to Investigate Symptom Trajectories over Time. Nursing Research, 56(3):195-201.
- Brown, C.G. & Wingard, J. (2004). Clinical consequences of oral mucositis. Seminars in Oncology Nursing, 20(1):16-21
- Brown, C.G. & Yoder, L.H. Stomatitis: An Overview. American Journal of Nursing. Supplement April 2002, 20-23.
- FDA Testimony, Before the Food and Drug Administration Joint Meeting Anesthetic and Life Support Drugs Advisory Committee,Drug Safety and Risk Management Advisory Committee REMS for Extended-Release and Long-Acting Opioid Analgesics, Washington, DC.
- Oncology Nursing Update, ACCC Conference, Kansas City, MO., May 2010 (Invited).
- Oral Mucositis: A State of the Science Approach to a Debilitating Symptom. Oncology Nursing Society National Congress, San Diego, CA. 90 minute educational session (Peer-reviewed).
- The Effects of Health Care Reform on Nursing and the Oncology Nursing Society. ONS Chicago Chapter speaker, May 2010 (Invited).
- The Symptom Experience of a Patient Treated for Cancer. Poster Presentation, European Oncology Nursing Society Annual Meeting, The Hague-Netherlands. April 2009 (Peer reviewed).
- Strategies to Address the Nursing Faculty Shortage. Nursing Organizations Alliance National Convention, Louisville, KY, November 2009 (Invited).
- One disease, two lives: Exploring the treatment of breast cancer during pregnancy. ONS National Congress, San Antonio, TX, May 2009 (Peer reviewed).
- President, Oncology Nursing Society