School of Nursing
369 McDowell Hall
- PhD, Wayne State University, Nursing, Physiology, and Immunology
- MS, University of Delaware, Nursing, Cardiopulmonary Clinical Specialist
- BSN, West Chester University, Nursing
- Care of Cardiopulmonary patients
Recent Scholarship, Research Activities
- 2005. Birney, M. Cardiac Rehabilitation Outcomes: Gender Effects, Heart Rate Variability, and Stress. $94,906. Beginning Grant-in-Aid. American Heart Association. Pennsylvania-
Delaware Affiliate. Submitted 1/13/05 for 7/1/05 funding. Two year funding request.
- 2000. Birney, M. Religiousness/Spirituality and Cardiac Risk. Submitted R21 grant to NIH. 300,000. Unfunded.
- Birney, M., Hardie, T. &Crowley, E. (Submitted). Association of parental smoking behaviors and absences in school age children.
- Wheeler, E., Klemm, P., Hardie, T., Plowfield, L., Birney, M., & Polek, C., & Lynch, K. (2004) Racial disparities in hospitalized elderly patients with chronic heart failure. Transcultural Nursing, 15(4), 291-297.
- Polek, C., Klemm, P., Hardie, T., Wheeler, E., Birney, M., &Lynch, K. (2004) Asian/Pacific Islander Women and Breast Cancer. Oncology Nursing Forum, 31(4), E69-74.
- 2003. Wheeler, E., Klemm, P., Hardie, T., Polek, C. & Birney, M. “Methods Used by Smokers to QuitSmoking”. Poster Presentation. Sigma Theta Tau/Delaware Nurses’ Association Joint Research Conference, Dover, DE.
- 2000. Plowfield, L., Wheeler, E. Polek, C., Klemm, P., Hardie, T., & Birney, M. Examining the Role ofEthnicity on Hospital Stay and Length of Treatment. Poster Presentation. Sigma Theta Tau/Delaware Nurses’ Association Joint Research Conference, Dover, DE.