Welcome to the University Museums

The University Museums seeks to enhance the educational and scholarly mission of the University of Delaware through the exhibition, online presentation, study, preservation and growth of its unique collections in 20th and 21st century American art (with particular strengths in the Brandywine School, African American art, and photography), minerals and pre-Columbian ceramics. To learn more about the museum and our mission please click here.

MUSEUM
INFORMATION

University Museums are closed for summer break.

 

Information on fall 2014 exhibitions and programming will be posted by August 1.

 

All University Museums will reopen on September 3.

 

Hours:
Wed-Sun 12:00-5:00 pm
Thur - 12:00-8:00 pm
Closed during University breaks and holidays

Main Phone:
302-831-8037

universitymuseums@udel.edu

 

MECHANICAL HALL GALLERY

30 North College Ave.
Newark, DE 19716

Directions

Parking:
Parking for the Mechanical Hall Gallery is in Trabant University Center Garage located between Delaware Avenue and Main St.

Phone:
302-831-8037 (Information)
302-831-8088 (Museum)

 

MINERALOGICAL MUSEUM

255 Academy St.
Newark, DE 19716

Directions

Parking:
Parking for the Mineralogical Museum is in Perkins Garage located on Academy Street.

Phone:
302-831-6557 (Curator)
302-831-8037 (Information)
302-831-4940 (Museum)

 

OLD COLLEGE GALLERY

18 East Main St.
Newark, DE 19716

Directions

Parking:
Parking for the Old College Gallery is in Trabant University Center Garage located between Delaware Avenue and Main St.

Phone:
302-831-8037 (Information)
302-831-6589 (Museum)

 

 

HELP US GO GREEN!

Please join our e-mail list to receive the latest news on our upcoming exhibitions!

 


“ We made the
UD Bucket List!”

OLD COLLEGE WEST GALLERY

Robert Straight, P-320, 1998. Mixed media on canvas, 56 x 48 in.

Strategy and Structure: The Work of Robert Straight

February 12 – June 28, 2014

In developing this exhibition with the University Museums, artist Robert Straight suggested the title, Strategy and Structure. Looking at the works presented here, from the early 1970s to the present, we become aware of the artist’s increasingly complex architecture of abstraction. Early in his career, Straight built forms into three dimensional wall sculptures. But when he turned back to working in two dimensions, he discovered greater depths, opening up seemingly infinite spaces.

read more

MECHANICAL HALL GALLERY

Margaret T. Burroughs, Three Souls, 1964. Oil on board, 10 3/8 x 14 in. Paul R. Jones Collection, University Museums, University of Delaware

FreshPAINT: African American Art @ UD

February 12 – June 28, 2014

With a focus on painting, this exhibition showcases works from the Paul R. Jones Collection of African American art alongside recent acquisitions. Using the words Fresh and Paint playfully and reflexively, the selection calls attention to methods and materials as well as content and style. The most recent bequests on view are two streetscapes by renowned Delaware artist, Edward L. Loper, Sr. (1916-2011).

read more

OLD COLLEGE MAIN GALLERY

Unknown artist, English, Lady Frances Knowles (?), ca. 1660-80. Oil on canvas. Gift of Ellen du Pont Wheelwright

Faces of the Collection

February 12 – June 28, 2014

Presenting and re-presenting works from the University Collection, this exhibition explores the diversity of the collection through the theme of “Faces.” The Oxford English Dictionary offers a wide range of meanings:  the front of the head of a human or an animal; a person, as in a “familiar face;” a representation of the face in art; or even a slang greeting for someone whose name has been forgotten.  But, when faces are transformed into art, other questions emerge.  What makes a face a portrait?  What do portraits reveal about their sitters, their creators, and their historical contexts?  What is the difference between a portrait and a mask?  What makes a face human? All of these questions and more come into play in this exhibition, the first in a series that will use selected themes as means of exploring the collection.

read more

MINERALOGICAL MUSEUM

Grossular (Garnet), Jeffrey Mine, Asbestos, Quebec, Canada, 2 ½ inches x 3 inches

Recent Gifts

February 12– May 18, 2014

The origins of the Mineralogical Museum can be traced to the donation in 1964 of the Irénée du Pont, Sr. collection. Although it has long been thought that Mr. du Pont purchased this collection primarily from Tiffany & Company through their gemologist, George F. Kunz, the ongoing research of Curator Sharon Fitzgerald shows otherwise. While many of the mineral specimens did come from the 1919 purchase from Kunz, du Pont had in fact begun collecting minerals as a child; he also continued to add to his collection after 1919, with acquisitions from both Tiffany’s and from George English at Ward’s Natural Science Establishment, a scientific supply company still in operation today.

read more
  • University of Delaware   •   Newark, DE 19716   •   USA
    Phone: (302) 831-2792   •   © 2011