Our department is associated with a number of facilities that provide clinical education for medical laboratory science majors. Our clinical affiliates include dozens of hospitals, laboratories, diagnostic centers, and health systems of varying sizes, all located within a two-hour drive of campus in Delaware and surrounding states. Several of our local clinical affiliates provide supervised phlebotomy experience for students in the fall of junior year. In the winter and spring terms of the senior year, the clinical affiliates provide supervised, structured experiences in the diagnostic laboratory disciplines of clinical chemistry, hematology, immunohematology (blood banking/transfusion services), microbiology/serology, and urinalysis. Senior students generally participate in clinical practicum experiences at three affiliates, including a large medical center and community hospital settings.
During the clinical practicum period (winter and spring terms of the senior year), medical laboratory science majors should plan for the additional expense of living off-campus at the clinical site for at least a four-week rotation when the commuting distance is excessive. Other expenses to consider for junior and senior practicums include transportation to the affiliate sites and uniforms.
- AtlantiCare Regional Medical Center-City Campus
Atlantic City, NJ
- AtlantiCare Regional Medical Center-Mainland Campus
- Bayhealth Medical Center-Kent General Hospital
- Bayhealth Medical Center-Milford Memorial Hospital
- Beebe Medical Center
- Cape Regional Medical Center
Cape May Court House, NJ
- Chester River Hospital Center
- The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
- Christiana Care Health Services-Christiana Hospital
- Christiana Care Health Services-Wilmington Hospital
- Crozer-Keystone Health System-Crozer-Chester Medical Center
- Delaware Public Health Laboratory
- Department of Veterans Affairs-Perry Point Veterans Affairs Medical Center
Perry Point, MD
- Department of Veterans Affairs-Wilmington Veterans Administration Medical Center
- Jennersville Regional Hospital
West Grove, PA
- The Johns Hopkins Hospital & Health System
- Main Line Health Laboratories-Lankenau Hospital
- Quest Diagnostics, Inc.
- Barnabas Health-Community Medical Center
Toms River, NJ
- Barnabas Health-Kimball Medical Center
- St. Francis Hospital, Inc.
- St. Joseph Medical Center
- Shore Medical Center
Somers Point, NJ
- South Jersey Healthcare-Regional Medical Center
- Union Hospital of Cecil County
- University of Pennsylvania Health System-Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
- Upper Chesapeake Health - Harford Memorial Hospital
Havre de Grace, MD
- Upper Chesapeake Health - Upper Chesapeake Medical Center
Bel Air, MD
- Virtua Health - Memorial Campus
Mt. Holly, NJ
- Virtua Health - Voorhees Campus
The Bureau of Labor Statistics of the U.S. Department of Labor projects that the employment of clinical laboratory technicians and scientists will increase by 13% through the year 2020.
In May 2010, the median salary was $56,130 annually for clinical/medical laboratory scientists, based on geographic location. Currently, there is a shortage in many parts of the country guaranteeing employment and higher salaries for graduates.
- Blood Bank of Delmarva*
* As a component of the total immunohematology experience, students visit Blood Bank of Delmarva for a firsthand look at a modern blood bank facility that provides high quality blood products and related services for the community.