Online course Evaluations for Administrators
Questions should be directed to Web Development, firstname.lastname@example.org
This page provides instructions for using the Administration features of the online course evaluations system. To use this system, you will need to have proper access. To request access, write to Information Technologies.
To log in to course evaluations, go to:
This page covers functions you may use as an administrator. For help on basic question management, see Online Course Evaluation for Faculty.
Questions about online course evaluations may be sent using this feedback form.
Set up for a term
Courses: About four (4) weeks after the start of classes – which is when most classes have been canceled, indicate which of your courses will participate in online course evaluations.
- On the Set Up tab, go to the Prepare for Evaluations section.
- Click on Manage Courses Doing Evaluations and Check Instructors and courses that your unit owns will be listed.
- Most departments are collecting most of their course evaluations online. If most of your courses are doing online evaluations, click the Make all courses participating button at the top of the page and that will mark the Participating checkbox for all course sections you own including cross-listed courses you own. If you need to include only some of your courses for online evaluations, click the Participating checkbox by each course you wish to include in online evaluations.
- If you have a course that is cross-listed and owned by another departments you will be able to see if they have included it for online evaluations or not when the Participating checkbox is marked and the Student Access Dates show. Cross-list participation is controlled by the cross-list owner.
- If you have a Professional and Continuing Studies (PCS) course, you will be able to see if they have included it for online evaluations or not when the Participating checkbox is marked and the Student Access Dates show. A blue "i" icon appears in the Participating column to let you know if the course is a PCS course. PCS course participation is controlled by PCS.
- If you have courses like Special Problem sections that should not do online evaluations, uncheck the checkbox in the Participating column for each course that should not do evaluations.
- If you have courses with last class dates that are different from the term end dates, review the Last class date column and be sure it is within the date range of the column to its left titled Student access dates.
- Tip: you can sort one of the last two columns so common dates appear together.
Instructors: The course evaluation system shows all instructors from all UDSIS tabs, which includes Secondary Instructors and TAs, but only the primary instructors are checked to appear on the course evaluation. If you want TAs to appear on the course evaluation, be sure to check them.
- On the Manage Courses Doing Evaluations and Check Instructors page, click the Expand all instructors button at the top right of the page to display all instructors for all of your courses. Visually review them to be sure these are the instructors who should appear to students on the evaluation for that course section. All instructors who should appear on the course evaluation MUST appear in this listing.
- If instructors should not appear on the course evaluation, uncheck them in the Appears on evaluation if checked column. This affects ONLY course evaluations and not UDSIS.
- The order in which the instructors are presented to students may be changed by using the up and down arrows in the Instructors appear to students in this order column.
- If instructors should appear on the course evaluation and do not have a check in the Appears on evaluation if checked column, then check the box to include them.
- If instructors are missing, add them in UDSIS and then check course evaluations the next business day.
- Tip: you can use View instructors to appear on evaluations and then choose your unit to see a simplified list of instructors.
- Tip: if you update instructors in UDSIS, those updates will appear in course evaluations then next day. However, if you wish to force an immediate update in course evaluations, go to the View instructors to appear on evaluations section, choose your unit, and then click the "admin" link in the top paragraph. Choose "Get instructor updates from UDSIS". The updates will be listed by course as course evaluation instructors are updated.
Questions: If you used course evaluations previously, then your questions will be set up. If your evaluation is set up as you need, then there is no effort needed on your part for question management.
- To quickly review what questions are assigned, on the Set Up tab – View questions to be used section – use the Question listing option to review any sections listed.
- To see what students will see, on the Set Up tab – View questions to be used section – enter a specific course section for Student view and click the Submit button.
- If you wish to change, add, or remove questions, you may do so before the first student access date. See directions below for adding or changing questions.
Create a new question
If you need to create new questions, follow the instructions in this section.
- Go to the Set up tab – Questions Libraries section.
- If you are creating a question to be used for a course you teach, click "My Questions." Otherwise, choose the College or Department Question bank where the question will be used.
- At the top right, click the Create a Question link.
- Complete the items to create your question and its response format. Click Next Step.
- On the Assign Question to Evaluation – Step 1 of 2 page, indicate if this question should appear for your unit or on courses you teach (My Question).
- On the Assign Question to Evaluation – Step 2 of 2 page, further indicate which courses should include this question.
- Click Update this assignment to add the question to the evaluation.
- Double check the assignment by reviewing Current Assignment(s) section in the middle of the page to be sure it looks correct to you.
If you need to check the entire list of questions or if you want to reorder questions you have assigned, do the following:
- From the "Main Menu" go to View questions to be used section and review the course sections containing the questions you just assigned. You may find that the Question Listing option is particularly helpful.
- If questions do not appear, perhaps the assignment as described in this section was not done correctly. To troubleshoot, you may look at the View questions to be used section, Question ID (QID) option for the question you just assigned.
- Use the Question ID (QID) option to see where the question is assigned and, if needed, locate the question in the Question Libraries.
- under Action choose "Assign to evaluation."
Assign a question to an evaluation
- Questions that exist may be assigned to evaluations by going to the Home page, locating the Question Libraries section on the Set Up tab, then the Question and choosing Assign to evaluation and completing the steps.
- In the middle section titled Current Assignment(s), check that the assignment looks correct.
- If you have additional assignments for this question, specify them in the bottom section titled Assign this question, choose which course section(s) this question should appear, and click Update this assignment once to add them.
- The Return to Question Libraries button may be used to go back to the Question Libraries to assign more questions. After assigning all questions, return to the Main Menu by choosing Home from the top right of the page.
- Go to View questions to be used section and review the course sections containing the questions you just assigned. You may find that the Question Listing option is particularly helpful. If questions do not appear, perhaps the assignment as described in this section was not done correctly. To troubleshoot, you may look at the QID of the question you just assigned using Question ID (QID) option to see where it is assigned.
Retire/Activate a question
As an administrator, you have the option to "retire" questions that you no longer wish to use or questions that have been updated. If you edit a question to make changes, a new question and QID is created. Be sure to retire for former question and assign the new question. Two reasons for this are the question is no longer valid or you have changed the language and a newer question has been created that should be used instead. Retired questions appear in the administrator's view but will not be available for instructors to assign to evaluations. Retiring a question relocates the question to the end of your question bank listing.
All active questions are listed first and are sorted in numerical order. Retired questions are listed in numerical order at the end of the question bank. To activate a retired question, scroll to the bottom of your question bank, find the question you want to reactivate and choose Assign to evaluation in the Action column. This allows faculty to view/assign the question again.
View Student Participation Tallies
Once students have begun to log on to complete their course evaluations, participation tally numbers are available. You and your faculty members may and use the Report Tab and then Search for Student Responses or Participation section. Set the term and click Submit form to see participation totals by course sections. Faculty may also run and view this report.
A list of the courses that qualify for your search appears. Participation tallies are shown in the Participation column. You may sort the report by "Participation %" by clicking the Ascend or Descend. buttons under that column title. Click on the course number to go to the Evaluation Results menu to see a list of student names only that completed the evaluation. Student names are not displayed if participation is less than 3 students. Student names are listed by name and UD ID and are not associated with that student's responses. Student names – not responses – will be available after evaluations close to students for the term. See schedules. Student responses are available about 15 days after the last UD scheduled final exam.
View a Participation Summary
While an evaluation is in progress or after the evaluation period has ended, Admins may use the Participation Summary to view a report of participation tallies. On the Report tab, go to the Participation Summary section and choose the term. Participation tallies are shown in the Participation % column. You may sort the report by "% Participated" by clicking the arrows next to the column title. Report data is downloadable from most reports by choosing Save as from the top, left of the page.
View Student Responses
There are a number of reports that provide student responses. To perform a search:
- Choose the Report tab.
- Choose the term(s) you wish to view.
- Choose other criteria – or, when in doubt, just choose term.
- Choose the Report type you need. If you are not sure, try them until you choose the one that is the format or contains the data you need.
- Click Submit form
- Report data is downloadable from most reports by choosing Save as from the top, left of the page.
Questions should be directed to Web Development, email@example.com