Forms Data Processor (FDP): How to create a form
This page provides instructions for setting up a form for use with the Forms Data Processor which stores results from your forms. To use this system, you will need to have proper access. You may request access from your departmental forms administrator, or contact Information Technologies.
Define Your Form in the FDP Engine
- Log in at https://primus.nss.udel.edu/formsPro/.
- Select "Manage forms" from the Administration menu . If you do not see this menu after logging in, see the note above about requesting appropriate access.
- Complete the Manage forms screen as follows:
Form ID: All forms require a unique ID. The ID that you enter on this screen should also be included as a hidden field on your form (see the "Edit Your Form" section below for example syntax).
Description: This should be a brief title of your form. This name appears in the dropdown list of your forms when you are querying the results.
URL: Enter the URL of your form (i.e. http://www.udel.edu/yourdirectory/formname.html). It must be typed as a full path URL.
Group: The Group dropdown displays all groups to which you have access. Most users only belong to one group. Select the appropriate Group for this form.
Email form results to: Enter a valid UD email address where the results of the form may be sent (optional, but recommended for submitters to receive a receipt). This may be an individual, a mailing list or a value from a field on the form. For example, if an email receipt is to be sent to the form submitter, and the email address field on your form is named "submitters_email", then select "Variable (value of form field)" and enter your fieldname in the input box.
Replyto value: If an email message will be generated when the form is submitted, enter an email address that the user will see as the reply-to: address. (optional). This may be an individual, a mailing list or a value from a field on the form, similar to the "email form results to:" field.
From value: If an email message will be generated when the form is submitted, enter an email address that the user will see as the From: address. (optional - if none is specified, the default is email@example.com).
Carbon copy: If an email message will be generated when the form is submitted, enter an email address for anyone who needs a carbon copy. (optional) This may be an individual, a mailing list or a value from a field on the form, similar to the "email form results to:" field.
Email template: This field is required if an email message will be generated when the form is submitted. Attach a template file of what the email message will look like. It can contain any text or field values. See example of a results file.
Return page: Enter the URL of the page that the submitter will see after they submit the form. This can be your department's home page, or a simple page that just says "Form submitted. Thank you." It must be typed as a full path URL. (required)
Message subject: This field is required if an email message will be generated when the form is submitted. Enter text that will appear as the Subject of the email.
Edit Your Form to Feed to the FDP Engine
- Create your form using a similar method as other "mailto" forms. Use the Contact Us form as a guide.
- Set the form action value to
<form method="post" action="https://primus.nss.udel.edu/formsPro/collect.action">.
- Add a hidden field for the Form ID you established in Step 3.a above. For example, if your form ID is "MY_FORM", the hidden field to include on your form would be:
<input type="hidden" name="formId" value="MY_FORM" />
- Fields are saved to the Forms Data Processor in alphabetical order, which may not be the order shown on the form itself. If you want the fields saved in the order shown on your form or some other order, precede the name of each field with a sequential number. For example shown on the sample form would be named:
Questions about the Forms Data Processor may be sent using this feedback form.