Computer security incident reporting & response

Security breach
(detected by unit) 

  1. Notify IT via email to  Security Administration.
  2. Breach notification procedures must be followed if high-risk confidential or PII (e.g., Social Security, credit card numbers, etc.) are stored on, or accessible from the compromised system.

Security breach
(detected by IT)

  1. IT disables the system's network connection and notifies the unit's IT professional or other administrative contact of the incident. Systems must be left on and unplugged from the network.
  2. The unit determines if high-risk confidential or PII is present.
  3. If high-risk confidential or PII is present, follow the breach notification procedures.
  4. If high-risk confidential or PII is NOT present, unit describes action taken to clean the system. IT re-enables the system's network connection.

Computer theft

  1. Report theft to Public Safety   (302-831-2222).
  2. If confidential personally identifiable information (PII) was stored on the computer, notify IT via e-mail to Security Administration.

Copyright infringements

Send email to  Security Administration.

Electronic threats to
personal safety

Call UD Police - Emergency calls, dial 911. Non-emergency calls, dial 831-2222.

General security

Call the IT Help Center  (302-831-6000)  OR send email to Include intact firewall logs or other evidential matter in your email.

Phishing & Internet fraud

Contact the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3), or use the FTC Consumer Complaint form to report a company or organization.

UD-specific spear phishing

Report the spear phishing attempt to the IT Support Center on the Report a Phishing Scam page.


Forward any spam received to the Federal Trade Commission, making sure you include the full email header, which is required to investigate the complaint.