IT Backup Policies and Procedures
University of Delaware Information Technologies (IT) provides data and email backup and recovery services for centrally managed systems and servers. The same services are offered to University colleges and departments.
- For these purposes, a server is defined as any supported device that has a primary function intended for concurrent use by multiple users.
- The service is limited to University servers that meet certain eligibility requirements.
- Backup services for desktop system are not provided centrally.
- There is no charge for the standard backup services.
- Charges may apply for non-standard service.
The standard service provides the following capabilities:
- On-site and off-site storage of backup data
- Real-time data recovery capabilities
- Support for many popular operating systems
- Backup of up to 1TB of data per server.
- Full backups are performed one weekend per month.
- Level 1 incremental backups are performed all other weekends each month.
- Incremental backups are performed daily.
- Backups will begin each day at a mutually agreeable time.
Backup Storage and Retention ScheduleIT maintains two retention schedules:
- Data backups are retained a minimum of three months.
- Email server backups are retained for two weeks.
- Backup sets are stored on "near line" disk or tape and are always available for recovery operations.
- Backup sets which are sent off-site are "cloned" from the on-site copies.
- All non-email daily backups are available for a period of three months.
- Monthly backups (full and Level 1 incremental) are retained indefinitely.
- Recovery of data older than three months may incur a fee.
Using the ServiceTo request use of the service, a server administrator should submit a Help Request to the IT Support Center. The following information is required in the request:
- Operating system
- Processor type
- Processor architecture (e.g., 32-bit or 64-bit)
- IP address
- Fully qualified domain name
- Directory paths to be backed up (Examples: C:\, F:\Backups, or /, /opt, /home, etc.)
- Approximate time of day the daily backups should start
- Contact information for the server's administrator:
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Department/College Name.
For more information about the service, submit a Help Request to the IT Support Center.