Manually adding an Apple IOS device to UDel Secure
- Apple uses the term iOS to refer to the software and configuration of the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad.
- If you use an iOS device to connect to the wireless network at UD, use the UDel Secure network whenever possible.
- To gain full Internet access for your device on UDelNet, you must register the device's MAC address at the UD Network page (www.udel.edu/network).
- Before you store any personal information on your iOS device (iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad), make sure you protect your device with a passcode.
- From the main screen, tap Settings, and then tap Wi-Fi.
- If your Wi-Fi is already set to use the UDel wireless network, you will need to switch to UDel Secure. Under Choose a Network..., tap UDel Secure.
- Next to Username and Password, enter your UDelNet ID and password. Then tap Join.
- You may be prompted to accept a client authentication
certificate from metal1.nss.udel.edu.
Verify that the certificate is identified as GlobalSign Root CA under metal1.nss.udel.edu. The certificate may be labeled Not Verified. This is the result of a known problem in iOS. Although you should be wary of security certificate errors, in this case you may safely accept this certificate. Tap Accept.
- Once you have accepted the certificate, you will be authenticated to the UDel Secure network, and a check will appear next to UDel Secure on the Wi-Fi Networks screen.
- Open Safari to complete the registration process at the
Network Page (www.udel.edu/network).
In the future your iPhone should automatically select the UDel Secure network. If UDel Secure is not available and you use the UDel wireless network, you will need to reselect the UDel Secure network when it is available again. This change should not require re-entering your network credentials.
This document adapted from a similar set of
directions at the University of Indiana.
Last updated: August 19, 2013