Webmail: delete mail
There are two ways to delete messages from a folder view, depending on your trash preferences. By default, your deleted messages will go to the Trash folder. But if you change your preferences so that Delete to Trash is set to No, your deleted messages will use the Compact feature instead of the Trash folder.
Delete mail using the Trash feature (default)
- In the Inbox or another folder, check the box(es) next to message(s) you want to delete.
- Click Delete in the bar
above the message list. This moves the
messages to your Trash folder.
Messages remain in the Trash folder for
14 days or until you empty the
To retrieve deleted messages, click Folders, and then click Trash. Find the message(s) you want to keep and save them to a different folder.
- Click [Empty] next to the Trash link on the Webmail menu bar to permanently delete the messages in your Trash folder.
Delete messages using the Compact feature
- In the Inbox or another folder, check the box(es) next to the message(s) you want to delete.
- Make sure Deleted appears in
the drop-down list next to the
Mark button, then click
Mark. The Deleted icon
appears next to the messages.
To undelete a message, check the box next to the message and choose Undelete from the Mark drop-down list, then click Mark.
- When you want to permanently delete messages marked for deletion, click Compact on the Webmail menu bar. Messages marked for deletion will remain in your Inbox until you click Compact.
To delete a large number of messages at once:
- Click Preferences on the Webmail menu bar.
- In the Message Count box, set the number to several hundred (or to the number you want to delete), then click OK.
- Delete the messages as outlined above. When you finish, reset the Message Count to your usual number.
- Click Delete at the top or bottom of the message window. Depending on your Trash preferences, your message will either be marked as deleted or moved to the Trash folder.
- Remember: If you are using the Delete to Trash feature, messages will remain in your Trash folder until you click Empty. If you are using the Compact feature, deleted messages will remain in your Inbox and count against your email quota until you click Compact.