Installing Internet Explorer version 7
Internet Explorer 7 (IE 7) is more secure than Internet Explorer 6 (IE 6) and has a streamlined look that allows more space for Web page content. When you install IE 7, your current toolbars (except for the menu and links toolbars), your favorites, home page, and search settings will be preserved. Your default Windows browser will remain the same as well.
Downloading and installing Internet Explorer 7
Internet Explorer 7 will appear as an Automatic Update in your Windows XP taskbar. To download and install it, follow these instructions:
- When you see the Automatic Updates notification, click to view a summary of key features then click the option to install the update.
- During installation, you will be
asked to validate your copy of Windows
- On the next screen, you will be
asked to install the latest updates for
IE and the Microsoft Windows Malicious
Software Removal Tool:
- Click through the rest of the installation screens.
- You will see the Required Settings
- Choose to keep the default IE 7 Live Search search engine or choose to make your favorite search engine the default.
- Make sure the box is checked next to Turn on Automatic Phishing Filter.
- Leave the Current Location setting as is.
- Click Save Settings.
Displaying the Menu toolbar
When you first look at the IE 7 window, you will notice many differences. The most-used items from the IE 6 menu are now under the Page and Tools menu. For example, as shown in the following image, you do not see a Menu toolbar.
To make the Menu toolbar visible, follow these instructions:
- On the right side of the window,
click the down-arrow to the right of
Tools. You will see a list of options
that you can turn on or off. By
default, the Menu toolbar is not
- Click Menu Bar. A check mark will appear in front of the option. When you look at the top of the IE 7 window, you will now see the Menu toolbar displayed:
Displaying the Links toolbar
You may want to have the Links toolbar showing so that you can easily access certain Web sites. To show the Links toolbar:
- Click the down-arrow to the right of Tools.
- Click the right-arrow next to
Toolbars and select Links:
- You will now see the Links toolbar
displayed on the right-hand side of the