Protect and Clean Your Computer: Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
BEFORE YOU BEGIN
- You must complete ALL numbered steps.
- These instructions require you to download files from the Internet. If your computer cannot connect to the Internet, use a computer that can connect and download the files to a DVD or thumb drive.
- Activate the Mac OS X firewall
- Use up-to-date McAfee anti-virus software
- Set software updates to check for updates daily
- Set up desktop security
- Ongoing tasks
- Change your account password periodically
- Back up important data: Mac 101: Time Machine (links to Apple's Web site; requires an external hard drive)
- After installing any new software, use Disk Utility to Repair Disk Permissions
- Obtain critical security updates for other applications (e.g., Adobe Acrobat Reader) installed on your computer
If, after you follow these instructions, your computer still exhibits signs of infection, you may need to make an appointment to clean your system. (Charges do apply.) Please direct questions to the IT Help Center at (302) 831-6000.
For further information about computer security, go to the UD computer security home page.