Mailing lists at UD: Setting up a shared mailbox without Exchange
You must have a shared mailbox already set up by Network and System Services (NSS) for these instructions to work. If you haven't already, submit a request for a shared mailbox.
These instructions will help you set up a shared mailbox for your group when all group members are NOT on the central Exchange server. Before you set up this kind of shared mailbox, please note the following:
- This is not truly a shared mailbox because message statuses (e.g., deleted and replied-to) do NOT sync across multiple clients in real time. Accordingly, we recommend that you schedule one person at a time to monitor the shared mailbox.
- Multiple people can access a shared mailbox simultaneously, but only the first to connect can delete mail.
- Messages in your shared mailbox count toward your central UNIX disk quota. You must ensure you have enough space on the UNIX server to send and receive messages.
- Shared mailboxes are available only to staff and faculty—not to student groups.
Please visit UD Central Mail Server Mailing Lists to learn about the different types of mailing lists and how to request them. If you'd like to set up a shared mailbox without using Exchange, follow the instructions below:
- Open your SSH Secure Shell Client.
- Connect to copland.udel.edu and log in with your UDelNet ID and password.
- Check to see if you have a mail/ directory by typing ls -l and viewing your list of files and directories.
- If you
do not see an entry similiar to this:
drwx------ 2 yourname 4000 4096 Aug 1 09:26 mailtype the following:
mkdir mailand press ENTER.
- Change into your mail directory by typing cd mail
- Press ENTER.
- Create a symbolic link by typing
the following, but replace
shared-mailbox-name with the name of
your shared mailbox.
ln -s /home/strauss/usrc/alternate_folders/shared-mailbox-name shared-mailbox-name
The ln command above starts with the letter "l," not the number "1."
- Press ENTER.
- Type exit at the prompt, and then press ENTER.
- Follow the instructions below to set up the shared mailbox in Thunderbird:
If you have comments or suggestions about this Web page or see any errors, contact the IT Communication Group.