Google Groups: Owner settings
As the owner of a Google Group, you have the ability to customize your Group's settings.
You can use Google Groups for many kinds of communication. This document assumes that you are setting up what Google.com calls an "email list," with or without an archive of messages on the Web. For information about other uses of Google Groups, go to Google.com's Groups Help Web site.
To begin managing the settings for your Google Group, navigate to your group's Group settings page.
- Log in to Google Apps at UDel.edu.
- Select Groups from the square Google Apps grid next to your name at the top right of the window.
- Select My Groups from the Welcome page.
- Select the name of the group you want to manage. As shown in the screenshot below, if you are setting up a new Google Group, it will not have anything listed in the most recent posting area (far right--red rectangle added for emphasis).
- From your Group's main menu, select Manage.
You will see a menu on the left hand side of the screen listing the different categories of things you can manage for your group:
- Members: add and invite users.
- Messages: approve or reject messages (if you have set up a moderated group).
- Settings: manage most of your Group's settings.
- Permissions: manage posting and moderation permissions.
- Roles: most Google Groups at udel.edu will not use roles. For more information, see Google.com's help with roles.
- Information: see some of the basic information about your group, and set up the Web archive of postings.
- Use the options under Members to manage current members, invite or add members, and manage invitations and requsts to join the Group.
(Read how to add a UD class list to a Google Group.)
- Under Settings, select Email options. Use this screen to set up the subject line and footers for email messages sent to group members. In the screenshot below, an instructor has chosen
- to include the name of the group in the subject line of each email message,
- has decided to include the link for emailing messages to the group, and
- the link to the Group's Web page.
- Under Settings, select New members to make decisions about who may participate in the Group. You can choose to allow members outside the udel.edu domain to join. Google.com and udel.edu members can participate in the Web archive and the email list. Other collaborators can only send and receive email to the Group.
- Under Permissions, select Posting permissions. When a Google Group is first created, only managers and owners can post to the group. From the Post section's drop down menu, select who you would like to give permission to post to the group. In the screenshot below, the owner is selecting All members of the group:
- Under Information, select Content Control. To allow Group members to see the posts on the Web, make sure the checkbox next to Archive messages to the group is checked.