UD Central Exchange: SharePoint Contact Lists
SharePoint contact lists are used as common contact lists for two or more individuals within a department or unit (e.g., an "Approved Vendor" list). These lists can be made public, and once connected, they can be used within Outlook, just like other shared contact lists.
To request a shared contact list, you must send email to email@example.com. When you make your request, you will need to provide:
- Your department's name.
- The name of the contact list.
- UDelNet IDs of people who will have access to the contact list, including the access level for each.
- Whether or not you want the contact list to be available to the UD community (i.e., anyone who can log in to SharePoint), to the public (anonymous access), or only to the following groups:
- Design Access rights--These users can add, update, delete, approve, and customize the list view.
- Read Access Rights--These users can view list items only.
- Open Outlook.
- Open a Web browser and navigate to the list in SharePoint.
- In the navigation ribbon at the top of the page, click the List Tools tab.
- Click List.
- Click Connect to Outlook in the Connect & Export group. Two confirmation boxes will be displayed.
- Click Allow twice to continue.
- Next, Outlook will show you a request box that should look similar to the following:
- The Advanced dialog box will allow you to change the name of the list as it appears in Outlook and to specify non-standard sync settings, but there is usually no reason to change advanced options.
- Click Yes to continue. A SharePoint login window will appear.
- Log in to SharePoint, and then close the login window.
- SharePoint will stay connected to Outlook as long as Outlook is open; if you restart Outlook, you may need to log in to SharePoint again.
- After the contact list is connected to Outlook, users can use it from within Outlook as they would any other contact list.