Activating the Windows XP firewall
To activate the Windows XP firewall, follow these steps:
- Click Start.
- Click Control Panel.
- If you see a prompt that says Pick a Category, click on Switch to Classic View in the left column.
- Double-click Windows Firewall.
- Click the General tab.
- Under Windows Firewall, check ON (recommended).
If the option for turning on the firewall is grayed out and cannot be changed, your system may have active malware that is preventing you from securing your PC.
Follow these steps to remedy the problem:
- Return to
Protect and clean your Windows XP
- Complete all steps under Use up-to-date McAfee Anti-Virus Software.
- Complete all steps under Protect against Spyware.
- After you clean your computer, right-click this link and choose Save Link Target as to your desktop.
- The downloaded file is a registry fix name FixRegSecure.reg.
- Double-click the FixRegSecure.reg file.
- Click Yes when prompted to add the information to your registry.
- Restart your computer.
- After restarting, follow the steps in the first section to enable the firewall.
If the option is still grayed out, your
system may need service to correct the
problem. Call the IT Help Center at
(302) 831-6000 to schedule an
appointment to have your computer
cleaned (charges apply).