McAfee VirusScan: Manually Scan Your Computer in Safe Mode (Windows)
If for any reason you are unable to run a scan or McAfee is unable to clean or delete the virus, follow these instructions to restart your computer in Safe Mode and run a manual scan.
These instructions are for Windows 7, Vista, and XP. If you have a Windows 8 system, instructions are also available online.
- Start your computer in Safe Mode:
- If your computer is on, shut it down.
- Turn your computer back on. Your computer will begin processing a set of instructions known as the "Basic Input/Output System" (BIOS). What you see on the monitor depends on the BIOS manufacturer. Some computers display a progress bar that refers to the word BIOS, while others may not display any indication that this process is happening.
- After the BIOS has finished
processing, begin tapping
the F8 key on your
keyboard. Continue to do so until
the Windows Advanced
Options menu appears.
If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, you may see a "keyboard error" message. If you see this message, restart your computer and try again.
- Use the arrow keys on the keyboard to choose Safe Mode.
- Press ENTER.
- From the Start menu, choose All Programs -> McAfee -> On-Demand Scan.
- All Local Drives should be highlighted. Click Start.
- VirusScan will take between five
minutes and several hours to scan your
computer, depending on the amount of
data on your computer's drive(s).
VirusScan will not scan encrypted files. You'll see the message File not scanned [The file is encrypted.].
- Close VirusScan when the scan is complete.
- Restart your computer in regular mode.
Last updated 2/14/14