Install McAfee VirusScan: Mac OS 10.4 (Tiger)
These instructions will help you download and install McAfee VirusScan for Mac OS 10.4 (Tiger).
If you are running Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard) or Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard), follow the link in the menu on the right of this page for the appropriate instructions.
- Download VirusScan 8.6.1 to your desktop.
- After the disk image mounts, you
should see a window that looks similar
to the following:
- If you've previously installed
VirusScan on your computer,
Uninstall.command to remove it.
- Provide your account password
(the one you created for the
administrator account when you
started your computer for the first
time) when prompted in the Terminal
- After the old software has been removed, close the Terminal window (now labeled Completed Command).
- Provide your account password (the one you created for the administrator account when you started your computer for the first time) when prompted in the Terminal window.
- Double-click VirusScan.pkg to start installing the software. Follow the prompts from the installer to complete the installation. The installer will put the VirusScan application in your Applications folder.
- After VirusScan is finished installing, restart your computer.
- Install Patch 1:
- Download Patch 1 for VirusScan for Mac OS X.
- Double-click patch1.dmg.
- Double-click VirusScanPatch1.pkg to install the patch.
- Click Continue..
- Click Close to exit the installer.
- After you are done installing VirusScan and Patch 1, remove any VirusScan-associated .gz, .dmg, or .pkg files from your computer.
The UD version of VirusScan for Mac will NOT automatically scan your computer for viruses at regular intervals. To ensure that your system is virus-free, you should manually scan your computer at least once a week. Follow the appropriate link to the right for instructions to manually scan your computer.
Your computer will automatically check for updates to VirusScan every day at 3:00 p.m.