Using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on a Windows Computer
The manufacturer of the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware program offers two versions: The "free" version that does not require a fee (i.e., freeware) and the "full" version that requires a fee.
These instructions are based on the installation of the freeware program (version 1.75) on a Windows 8 computer using the Firefox browser.
If you are using a different version of Windows or a different browser, the images may not appear exactly as they do here. However, their function should remain the same.
- Open the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware program.
- If you see the User Account Control dialog box, click Yes.
- The Main Menu dialog box will open and should look
similar to the following:
- Each time you start Malwarebytes
Anti-Malware, always update the program's definition
files (i.e., information used to
identify spyware and malware). Your
computer must be connected to the
Internet to update definition files. To
check for updates, click the Update tab at the top
of the Malwarebytes dialog box as shown in the following
- Click Check for Updates. If new definition files are available, they will be automatically downloaded and installed.
- Click OK.
- To scan your computer, click the
Scanner tab at the top of the Malwarebytes dialog box as shown in the following
- Click the radio button in front of the type of scan you want to run.
- Click Scan.
- Depending on the computer you have, the number of programs and files it contains, and the type of scan selected, the scan may take several minutes to an hour or more to finish.
- When the scan is complete, you
should see a scan results window,
which—if nothing suspicious was
found—should appear as a text
file and look similar to the
- If suspicious items were found, you would instead see a window indicating that such items were found.
- Click Show Results. You should see
a scan summary window, which should
look similar to the following:
- Confirm that all detected items are selected.
- Click Remove Selected.
- If you are prompted to reboot your computer, click Yes to complete the removal.
- When you are done, close the program.
You should update and scan your computer using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware at least once a week.