Downloading and installing Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware on a Windows computer
The manufacturer of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware application offers two versions: The "free" version that does not require a fee (i.e., freeware) and the "full" version that requires a fee. This application can be installed on a Windows Vista or Windows 7 computer.
The full version of Anti-Malware provides a realtime protection module. You will not need this version because UD McAfee provides a similar module, and if you install the full version of Anti-Malware as well as UD McAfee, the applications can conflict and cause problems on your computer.
These instructions are based on the freeware version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware installed on a Windows 7 computer using the Firefox browser. If you are using a different version of Windows or a different browser, the images may appear slightly differently than those contained here. However, they should retain the same function.
You should scan your computer using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware at least once a week.
To download and install Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware application, follow these steps:
- Open a Web browser application.
- Link to the Malwarebytes' home page, which should look similar to the following:
- Click the Download free version button. You will see a new Web site appear. In the following example, the new Web site is "cnet.download.com," but you may see a different download site such as "MajorGeeks.com."
- Click the Download Now button. You will see a dialog box requesting whether to save the file, which should look similar to the following:
- Click Save File.
- Navigate to the location where you saved the file (typically your desktop). You will see the set-up icon, which should look similar to the following:
- Double-click the mbam-setup icon.
- The Select Setup Language dialog box should appear. Select the language of your choice.
- You will see Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Setup Wizard window, which should look similar to the following:
- Click Next. You will see the License Agreement dialog box.
- Click the radio button in front of I accept the agreement.
- Click Next. You will see the Setup dialog box.
- In the Select Destination Location dialog box, click Next.
- In the Select Start Menu Folder dialog box, click Next.
- In the Select Additional Tasks dialog box, select the options you want and then click Next.
- In the Ready to Install dialog box, click Install.
- After installation is complete, you will see the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Setup Wizard window again, which should look similar to the following:
- Click Finish.
- The Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
welcome window will appear, which
should look similar to the
- To use the application, follow the instructions on how to use the Anti-Malware application.