Downloading Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on a Windows Computer
The manufacturer of the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware program offers two versions: The "free" version that does not require a fee (i.e., freeware) and the "full" version that requires a fee. This program can be installed on a Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 computer. We recommend that this program be used for personal use only.
The full version of Anti-Malware provides a realtime protection module. You will not need this version because UD McAfee provides a similar module, and if you install the full version of Anti-Malware as well as UD McAfee, the programs can conflict and cause problems on your computer.
The following instructions are based on the freeware version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware installed on a Windows 8 computer using the Firefox browser. If you are using a different version of Windows or a different browser, the images may appear slightly differently than those presented here. However, they should retain the same function.
To download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware program (v. 1.75), follow these steps:
- Open a Web browser.
- Go to the Malwarebytes home page.
- Click the Free Version Download button.
- You will see a dialog box requesting whether you want to save the file, which should look similar to the following:
- Click Save File.
- Navigate to the location where you saved the file (typically your desktop). You will see the setup icon, which should look similar to the following:
- Double-click the mbam-setup icon.
- If you see the User Account Control dialog box, click Yes.
- In the Select Setup Language dialog box, choose the language of your choice.
- Click OK.
- You will see the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Setup Wizard dialog box, which should look similar to the following:
- Click Next. You will see the License Agreement dialog box.
- Click the radio button in front of I accept the agreement.
- Click Next. You will see the Setup dialog box.
- Click Next.
- In the Select Destination Location dialog box, click Next.
- In the Select Start Menu Folder dialog box, click Next.
- In the Select Additional Tasks dialog box, select the options you want and then click Next.
- In the Ready to Install dialog box, click Install.
- After installation is complete, you will see the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Setup Wizard dialog box again, which should look similar to the following:
- Click Finish.
- The Malwarebytes Anti-Malware main menu dialog box will appear, which
should look similar to the
- To use the program, follow
on how to use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
You should scan your computer using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware at least once a week.