A UDelNet account is automatically created for each new student or faculty/staff member the day after you receive a UD ID card. The UDelNet account provides you with a UD email address and disk space for email and other files. Before it can be used, however, you must activate the UDelNet account by assigning it a UDelNet ID (username) and password:
UDelNet ID (username)
- Format: 3 to 8 lowercase letters—no spaces, numbers, or punctuation marks.
- Your UD email address format will be: email@example.com
- Students should choose a UDelNet ID carefully, considering its appropriateness when applying for employment or higher degree programs.
- Format: 8 to 30 characters in length; a combination of letters, numbers and punctuation marks. No dictionary words are allowed. UDelNet passwords are the key to keeping login access to the central computers secure. It is stated University policy that ALL users of the central computers must keep their passwords strictly confidential. After you have set your password, you should commit it to memory.
- Password Best Practices
See Access to Computing Resources for more information on terms and length of use.
- See Before you arrive for instructions on activating your account.
- If you have trouble, go to the Visitor's Center. If you are not on the Newark campus, call 302-831-2132.
- You will create your UD ID and choose your UD PIN during the Quick Bio portion of HR On-boarding. If you have any questions, contact Human Resources at (302) 831-8677 or see your HR Liaison.
- The day after you receive your ID card, you may activate your UDelNet account. Log in to http://www.udel.edu/network with your UD ID and PIN and follow the prompts.
- Review Responsible Computing--A Manual for Staff.
- Indicate your understanding of current UD policies.
You can take a number of steps to create a strong password. Strong passwords are essential to maintaining the privacy of your information. Follow as many of the following ideas as possible.
- Choose characters from each of the following groups:
- upper case letters (A-Z)
- lower case letters (a-z)
- numbers and symbols (0-9,$,#,!-,_,@)
- Do not use a name or dictionary word in any language. Do not use a repetitive series like "abc123".
- Create a password that cannot be guessed from personal information: name, address, SSN, UDelNet ID, phone number, birth date, etc.
- Do not re-use a password from another account.
- Do not display your password on notes attached to your computer, or store it on your computer's hard drive in obvious places (a "Passwords file").
- Change your password often.
- Strong password example: Choose a phrase that is easy to remember and use the guidelines above to make it into a password. The phrase, "To be or not to be--William Shakespeare" can become: 2B-ntBw$
DO NOT use this example as your password.
If you receive an IMAP not recognized error message, edit your email account as follows:
- Students who want to forward email from their UDelNet Google Apps account MUST follow the forwarding directions below. DO NOT set up forwarding from within Google Apps.
- Email filtering by other email providers (MSN, Hotmail, AOL, etc.) is beyond the control of the University and may subject incoming mail to filtering that blocks your forwarded email as spam.
- Forwarding your UD email to an outside email account carries the risk that you will not receive email that is important to your academic success—from professors, the administration, and classmates.
- To ensure your forwarding is working, periodically send a test message to your UD address and verify that you have received it in your other account. Forwarded mail is NOT secure once it leaves the University's mail server. Some faculty members require class mail to be sent from a student's UD email account.
- Make sure your forwarding address remains valid and that you do not exceed the mailbox storage limits in that account.
- Log in to the UD network page.
- Choose Forward your Email to a non-UD account.
- Provide the full address of your other account.
- Forwarding takes place immediately. All mail sent to your UD address will, from this point forward, only appear in the other account.
- Any email that was in the UD mail account before forwarding was set will remain there.
Departmental email for faculty/staff:
- If a department has its own email server, faculty/staff should:
You can change your UDelNet ID (username) by logging in to the UD network page. Incoming mail will be delivered to both the old and new address for only a very short time. You should notify your correspondents of the name change.
Log in to the UD network page with your UD ID and UD PIN. Choose Change your password. If the system refuses the new password, log out and start again.
The new password will be effective immediately for most applications. For Web applications secured by an .htaccess file, the password will become effective the following day.
Students: If you do not have a PIN, do not know your UD ID or have any other problems, go to the Student Services Building. If you are not on the Newark campus, dial 302-831-2132.
Faculty/staff: If you cannot log in with your UD ID and PIN, contact your HR Liason.