Google Apps @UDel.edu: Special Situations & Troubleshooting
I already have a Google Account where I log in with email@example.com
One of the initial steps in migrating our UD email to Google was to create all @udel.edu accounts on the Google servers. This means that you actually have two accounts at Google which use your @udel.edu address as a username.
One was created when you first signed up for Google apps (calendar, docs, sites, etc.), and a new one that is officially associated with your UD account. It's important to note that the two are completely independent of each other.
If you have an @udel.edu Google account and are having problems seeing your information, you need to disassociate your Google account from the udel.edu address that you initially created.
How to disassociate your firstname.lastname@example.org from your Google account
- Go to google.com and sign in with your @udel.edu username and Google password.
- You will need a secondary email address
(e.g. Yahoo, Comcast, etc.). We'll use Yahoo
as an example here. If you already have
another account and it has not already been
associated with a Google account, you can
simply use that address and go on to step 3.
- Open another window or tab, go to yahoo.com, and create an account if you don't already have one.
- Go back to the Google tab or window that you signed into in step 2 above.
- On the google.com page, at the top right choose "Settings" and from the drop-down menu choose "Google account settings."
- Select the "Change email" link under Personal Settings/Security.
- Enter your secondary email address for your "New email address" (e.g. email@example.com). Enter your Google password. (Not the password you use for your secondary email address.) Click the "Save email address" button. You will now need to verify this new email address.
- Go back to Yahoo, make sure you are logged into your Yahoo email, and check your inbox for a message from Google.
- Read the email message from Google in your Yahoo account. Click on the top link included in the message, which is the verify link.
- Go back to the Google tab/window. At the top right click "Sign out."
- Now sign in with this new email as your username (not your @udel.edu email) and your Google password. All of your calendars and documents will be there. Always use this sign on to access your Google account.