Starting to use Google Drive at UD
- Log in to Google Apps at UD as you usually would. Select Drive from the menu at the top of the Google Apps at UD page.
- You'll see your documents listed on a Google Drive page that looks very similar to the old Google Docs page.
Note: If you choose not to download the Google Drive desktop software, you can continue to use Google Drive in Google Apps at UD as you had been using Google Docs: you can continue to create and share documents in Google Apps at UD; however, without the desktop software, you will not be able to sync files between your computer and Google Drive within Google Apps at UD.
- If you click the triangle next to My Drive, you'll see a list of your folders (formerly called "collections" in Google Docs).
- If you click Shared with me, you'll see a list of the folders and files others have shared with you. You can choose to see those items listed on your My Drive display by dragging them to My Drive.
- You can also use the Google search bar to search (by name) for a file or folder. The search results will include items visible from both the My Drive and Shared with me listings.
- You also have the option to follow the link to Download Google Drive (the Drive desktop client software) to your computer.
- To download the client, click Download Google Drive on the main Google Drive menu.
In the next pop-up window, review the Google Terms of Service, then click Accept and Install or Agree and
Follow the directions displayed on your screen to download the client software.
The screenshot below displays the message displayed in Firefox for Windows 7.
The screenshot below displays the message displayed in Firefox for the Macintosh and the associated download pop-up window.
- Locate the Google Drive software on your computer (Applications folder on a Macintosh; Programs menu on a Windows computer) and double click its icon to open the software.
Next, you'll see a page inviting you to sign in to Google Drive. Type your complete UD email address (email@example.com). Do not provide your password. This page is a standard Google.com screen that you pass through on your way to Google Apps at UD. Click Sign in to be taken to the Google Apps at UD login screen.
- Log in at the Google Apps at UD login page using your UDelNet ID and password.
When you see the Welcome to Google Drive! pop-up window, select Next.
When you see the Google Drive on the web.pop-up window, click Start sync to download a copy of the files you have stored in Google Drive at Google Apps at UD.
- Depending on how many files you have stored in Google Drive within Google Apps at UD, downloading a copy of the files could take a few seconds or a few minutes.
- To sync files between your computer and Google Drive within Google Apps at UD, move them into the local Google Drive folder on your computer ("local").
Next topic: Using the Google Drive desktop client