Starting to use Google Drive at UD
- Log in to Google Apps at UD as you usually would. Select Drive from the square Google Apps grid next to your name at the top of the window.
- You'll see your documents
listed on a Google Drive page that looks like the following:
- Click the triangle next to My Drive to see a list of your folders.
- Click Shared with me to see a list of the folders
and files others have shared with you. You can choose to see those items
listed on your My Drive display by dragging them to
- You can also use the Google search bar to search (by name) for a file or folder. The search results will include items visible from both the My Drive and Shared with me listings.
- Finally, you have the option to follow the link to Download Google Drive (the Drive desktop client software) to your computer.
NoteIf you choose not to download the Google Drive desktop software, you can still use Google Drive in Google Apps at UD: you can create and share documents; however, without the desktop software, you will not be able to sync files between your computer and Google Drive within Google Apps at UD.
- To download the client, click Download Google Drive on the main Google Drive menu.
In the next pop-up window, review the Google Terms of
Service, then click Accept and Install or Agree
Follow the directions
displayed on your screen to download the client software.
The screenshot below displays the message displayed in Firefox for Windows 7.
The screenshot below displays the message displayed in Firefox for the Macintosh and the associated download pop-up window.
- Locate the Google Drive software on your computer (Applications folder on a Macintosh; Programs menu on a Windows computer) and double-click its icon to open the software.
Next, you'll see a page inviting you
to sign in to Google Drive. Type your complete UD email address
(firstname.lastname@example.org). Do not provide your password. This page is a
standard Google.com screen that you pass through on your way to Google
Apps at UD. Click Sign in to be taken to the Google Apps
at UD login screen.
- Log in at the Google Apps at UD login page using your UDelNet ID and password.
- When you see the Welcome to Google
Drive! pop-up window, select Next.
When you see the
Google Drive on the web pop-up window, click
Start sync to download a copy of the files you have
stored in Google Drive at Google Apps at UD.
- Depending on how many files you have stored in Google Drive within Google Apps at UD, downloading a copy of the files could take a few seconds or a few minutes.
- To sync files between your computer and Google Drive within Google Apps at UD, move them into the local Google Drive folder on your computer ("local").
Next topic: Using the Google Drive desktop client