FLSA Status: Nonexempt
Revised July 1, 1999
NATURE OF JOB:
Under limited supervision, performs police patrol work. The principal emphasis is on enforcing the laws of the State of Delaware, City of Newark and University rules and regulations; investigating crimes, traffic accidents and other safety-related matters and taking corrective and/or enforcement action as required; independent judgment is required in interpreting University policy in accordance with established laws, regulations and procedures; serves as a trainer/mentor for junior officers, regularly conducts recruit or in-service instruction in areas of expertise; requires the exercise of tactful and assertive interpersonal communication skills.
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
Depending on divisional assignment, the following are typical
* Patrols the campus, either on foot or by vehicle, to ensure the security of facilities and the safety of students, staff and visitors; prevents and deters crime by observation and confrontation of unusual circumstances and individuals; notifies supervisors of security defects; locks or unlocks buildings;
* Responds to, initiates investigation into, and reports crimes or incidents in violation of State law, City code or University rules which impact on the safety of the University community;
* Takes enforcement action and makes apprehensions as required; completes all necessary documentation including preparation of summonses or warrants, affidavits, reports, referrals and arrest paper work; notifies supervisors of all enforcement related actions;
* Preserves crime scenes, collects and preserves evidence, identifies and interviews witnesses, suspects and victims of criminal incidents; assists other law enforcement officers in investigations;
* Prepares and presents, or assists in presentation of, cases in courts or other official proceedings;
* Serves as a field training officer with responsibility for the instruction and evaluation of probationary personnel;
* Conducts intra- and/or extra-departmental certification, training and informational programs;
* Performs traffic direction and crowd control duties as assigned;
* Renders first aid; transports sick, injured or otherwise disabled persons;
* Assists visitors, students and staff by providing information, directions and assistance;
* Supervises other police officers, security officers and/or miscellaneous wage and/or student employees;
* Performs other related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND ABILITIES:
Requires a minimum of an Associate's degree or equivalent credits (minimum 60 credits) with two years' acceptable performance as a police officer. Certification as an instructor plus some college work in criminal justice, political science or the social sciences preferred. Requires basic computer skills; the ability to communicate effectively and interact well with people of all ages and diverse backgrounds; or any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Possession of a valid motor vehicle operator's license; must be able to be commissioned as a Police Officer for the University of Delaware; must pass a preemployment drug screening test and a battery of preemployment tests designed to measure mental skills, motor skills, writing skills, and physical fitness and agility applicable to law enforcement officers and a comprehensive background investigation including driving records, financial status and criminal history; successful completion of mandatory police training in the State of Delaware or equivalent training acceptable to the Delaware Council on Police Training within first year of employment is required.
The EXAMPLES OF WORK are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties assigned to this position.