University of Delaware

Frequently Asked Questions

Dorm Apartment

Q: How are students assigned to housing?

A: Students are given random lottery numbers and are assigned based on their housing and roommate preferences. Room assignments are not determined on a first-come, first-served basis, and are made without regard to race, creed, color, or sexual orientation. After the fall semester, students may request to move to other buildings if vacancies are available.

Q: How are roommates determined?

A: Some students mutually request each other as roommates on the Housing Application. In all other situations, Housing Assignment Services uses a roommate matching system and Roommate Prefernece Questionnaire in order to determine the most compatible roommate. Students will be matched according to academic habits, musical preferences, vistior preferences, etc. It is important that students respond honestly to the questionnaire, as it will have the greatest impact on their housing assignment.

Q: When are housing and roommate assignments available?

A: Assignments for returning students will be released in late April, and assignments for freshman will be available during the first week of August. All room assignments are available online through UD SIS, and Housing Assignment Services will send and email to confirm that assignments are ready.

Q: What is temporary extended housing and who is assigned to it?

A: When the demand for housing exceeds the supply of available rooms and apartments, new students are assigned to an expanded-capacity room for the fall semester. Expanded-capacity rooms are double rooms furnished for three students. Students in these situations are assigned to permanent spaces as cancellations occur and receive priority for spaces that open in their buildings. For details, visit the extended housing web page.

Q: What is Special Interest Housing?

A: Special Interest Housing, located in Ray Street Complex, allows upperclass students to engage the local community and live with other students who share common academic or social interests. Upperclass and transfer students can apply for this type of housing by completing a supplemental application. Freshman can be considered for Special Interest Housing during the spring semester.

Q: Is on-campus housing guaranteed for transfer students?

A: All transfer students should contact Housing Assignment Services to see if spaces are available on campus.

Q: Are there special arrangements for students with disabilities or special housing needs?

A: Yes. A student may indicate any special needs directly on the Special Needs Housing form. Please see the Special Housing Requests web page for more information. Students may also call the Office of Disabilities Support Services at (302) 831-4643, to confirm receipt of documentation and to arrange for other accomodations such as parking, scheduling, etc. The form must be submitted immediately for consideration.

Q: How will I be assigned if I am transgender?

A: Housing Assignment Services and Residence Life staff members are committed to working to meet the housing needs of all students in a nuturing community that values diversity and promotes the dignity of all people. If you have special housing needs based on gender identity/expression, please contact Linda Carey or Rebecca Fogerty when you apply for on-campus housing. It is easier for Housing Assignment Services to accomodate your request if you contact our office by the following dates: March 31 for returning students, and prior to June 1 for incoming freshman and transfer students. There will be more spaces available in a wider variety of locations prior to those dates.

Other resources: List of Allies, HAVEN, Office of Equity and Inclusion

Q: When can I move in?

A: For the 2012-2013 academic year, students can move in during the following dates and times.

Q: What should I pack?

A: For a sample packing list, please see our online Move-In Guide. Students are encouraged to contact their roommate before arriving on campus in order to get acquainted and discuss who will bring the TV, refrigerator, etc. Students should also review the list of items that are not permitted in the residence halls.

Q: What is an RA and what will my relationship be like with him or her?

A: A Resident Assistant (RA) is a Residence Life staff member. Normally, there is one RA assigned to live on each floor. They are generally upperclass undergraduate students. RAs provide advice, assist students with personal matters, refer students to toher offices when appropriate, help mediate conflicts among residents, advise Complex Community Councils, and assist with the planning of educational and social programs. RAs also enforce policies designed to protect the rights of all individuals in order to maintain an environment conducive to academic pursuits.

For more information, or to apply to be an RA, please visit the Residence Life website.

Q: What is the best way to introduce myself to my roommate?

A: When you receive your room assignment, you will also receive the home address and phone number of your roommate(s). You are encouraged to call your roommate before you arrive on campus. If you are assigned to a single room and would like the contact information of your next door neighbors, please contact Housing Assignment Services.

Q: What should I do if I have problems with my roommate?

A: Many roommate conflicts can be avoided by determining basic living guidelines at the beginning of the year. For example, roommates can discuss how long they prefer guests to stay, or how often to take out the trash. It is important that all students respond honestly to the Roommate Characteristics questions on the Housing Application, however answering these questions properly will not necessarily prevent conflicts from occuring. If problems arise, students are encouraged to resolved issues on their own before contacting Residence Life.

For advice to resolve the conflict, please contact your Resident Assistant (RA) or visit the Residence Life website.

Q: What type of security is offered in the residence halls?

A: The University of Delaware is committed to partnering with students to provide a safe and secure environment in all residence halls. Residents are encouraged to familiarize themlseves with security and fire safety procedures as well as provided equipment.

All residence halls are provided with a building-specific access cards, 24-hour locked exterior door system, 24-hour hour video surveillance cameras, alarm systems, smoke detectors, and sprinklers. Additionally, the University provides door viewers in all residence hall doors and the Christiana Towers apartment entrance doors. Security screens are provided on operable lower floor windows and there are over 200 outdoor emergency telephones connected to the University police. Student police aids provide nightly foot patrols and walking escorts for all students.

For more safety tips and information, please visit the Public Safety website.

Q: What furnishings are provided in the residence halls?

A: Furnishings vary by room and locatoin. You can check the Facilities website to view the specific furnishings for your assigned room.

Q: Can you tell me the dimensions of my room?

A: Room sizes vary according to location. For specific room dimensions, visit the Facilities website.

Q: What appliances can I have in my room?

A: Students are permitted to bring fans, radios and stereos, TVs, computers, a microwave. Students are only permitted to have one small microwave and refrigerator per room, so please discuss what you are bringing with your roommate (you will receive your roommate's contact information with your housing assignment). All students should review the Move-In Guide, which includes a specific list of what items to bring and what items to leave at home.

Q: Am I allowed to have a refrigerator or microwave in my room?

A: Yes, students may bring both. Students may bring a 4.1 cubic-foot refrigerator unit or a combination microwave/refrigerator (students may only have one refrigerator per room). In July, all students who will be living on campus will receive order forms from On-Campus Marketing , a supplier of refrigerator and microwave units. Purchasing from On-Campus Marketing helps sponsor programs in the residence halls.

Please see Residence Hall Essentials for more information.

Q: Am I allowed to bring a DVR (e.g. TiVo)?

A: Yes. In order to connect your DVR to the Internet, you may need a network address translation (NAT) router (available from your local electronics supplier). You will also need to change the zip code location in order to access the channell lineup for the campus cable network.

Q: Are washers, dryers, and kitchens provided in the the residence halls?

A: Community kitchens and laundry facilities are provided in every residence hall. Students may pay for laundry with coins or with their FLEX account.

Q: How big are the mattresses and where can I purchase sheets?

A: Residence hall mattresses are 80" long and require extra-long fitted sheets. Students are encouraged to call local bedding or department stores for availability of extra-long sheets. You may also buy sheets from the Resident Student Association (RSA). Visit the Residence Hall Essentials site for details.

Q: Am I allowed to bunk my bed?

A: Yes, all beds can be bunked or raised for storage underneath. You can request services from UD Fix It at (302) 831-1141 or complete a services request form.

Q: Where can I pick up my mail?

A: Each residence hall has a mailbox area. When you move in to your residence hall, check with your RA to see where your mailbox is located. For more information, please visit the Campus Mail website.

Q: Are the residence hall bathrooms coed?

A: No. All bathrooms (except guest bathrooms) are assigned specifically for males or females. Using an opposite gender bathroom is a violation of the Residence Hall Regulations.

Q: Is it possible to study in the residence halls?

A: Students can study in their rooms or in the study lounges provided in the residence halls. Take a look around your buidling when you move in; you may find a quiet corner for studying.

Q: Can I have a pet in my room?

A: Pets are not permitted. Fish are the only exception and may be kept in a 20 gallon or smaller tank.

Q: What is the visitation policy?

A: Guests are permitted to visit under strict guidelines. Guests may stay overnight in your room for no longer than three consecutive days. Hosts are responsible for the conduct of their guests and for familiarizing their guests with pertinent University rules and regulations.

Q: Do most students go home on the weekends?

A: Some go home, but students are encouraged to take advantage of all of the activities the University has to offer. For example, students can attend a football game, catch a movie at the Trabant University Center, attend a concert or one of the many social gatherings sponsored by Residence Life. To view upcoming events, or to learn more, visit the Student Life website.

Q: Can I live in the residence halls during University break periods?

A: Upperclass students who wish to live on campus during academic-year break periods should request to live in Independence Complex, the Christiana Towers, and North/South Central. If you are a Christiana Towers resident, there is no additional fee for vacation housing. If you are assigned to any other residence hall, you may request to remain in your room during academic year break periods for a nominal fee (you must be registered for class or participate in a University activity). Decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Q: Can I smoke in the residence halls?

A: To further ensure the health and safety of the University community, all University-owned housing on the Newark campus is smoke-free. Although all residence hall rooms and public areas are smoke-free, smoking will be permitted in designated areas outside of the residence halls.