Sigma Alpha (Σ Α)
ALPHA KAPPA CHAPTER
FOUNDED: 1978, OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY
CHARTERED AT DELAWARE: 1999
PHILANTHROPY: AG IN THE CLASSROOM
COLORS: EMERALD & MAIZE
FLOWER: YELLOW CHRYSANTHEMUM
SYMBOL: BABY BULL
LOCAL WEBSITE: http://www.wix.com/sigmaalphaak/sa_udel
NATIONAL WEBSITE: www.sigmaalpha.org
Sigma Alpha is a professional agricultural sorority that promotes scholarship, leadership, service and fellowship among its members. Sigma Alpha sorority was founded in 1978 at the Ohio State University by five women who wanted an alternative to the social Greek sorority system. Since that time, Sigma Alpha has become a national organization consisting of more than 60 chapters, comprised of undergraduate and alumnae members. Today, more than 4,000 members have been initiated into Sigma Alpha Sorority!
Sigma Alpha, Alpha Kappa chapter, was founded at the University of Delaware in 1999. We have active members from a variety of majors, including Animal, Food and Plant Sciences, Pre- Veterinary Medicine and Animal Biosciences, Wildlife Conservation, Biology, Business, Education and more. Our main objective is to further the development of women pursuing careers in agriculture. Throughout the year we participate in UDance, Ag Day, campus events, and various Greek events. We support our national philanthropy, Ag in the Classroom as well as other philanthropies including the Delaware SPCA, HungerU and the B+ Foundation. Our sisters are not only involved in our chapter, but are extremely active in many other organizations throughout campus. The women of Sigma Alpha are looking for young women hoping to promote scholarship, leadership, fellowship and service through an interest in agriculture to join our chapter.
What can Sigma Alpha offer?
- Life-long friendships among girls with similar interests!
- Opportunities for professional development through educational programs with knowledgeable speakers!
- Development of leadership and event planning skills!
- Community service projects aimed toward agriculture education and welfare!
- Chances to donate to charitable organizations through philanthropy!
- Exciting weekly sisterhood activities for members!
- Involvement with other campus organization through participation in Greek and club events!
The University of Delaware is not responsible for content of National and Local websites.