FLL Language Course Sequences
The following are four-credit courses:
- 105 - Arabic I, Chinese I, French I, German I, Hebrew I, Italian I, Japanese I, Russian I,
Spanish I, (Elementary)
An introduction to the language and the development of speaking, listening, reading, and writing skills through the use of basic texts.
- 106 - Arabic II, Chinese II, French II, German II, Hebrew II, Italian II, Japanese II, Russian II, Spanish II, (Elementary/Intermediate)
Completion of basic Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Russian, or Spanish grammar and increasing mastery of speaking, listening, reading, and writing skills.
- 107 - Arabic III, Chinese III, French III, German III, Hebrew III, Italian III, Japanese III, Russian III, Spanish III, (Intermediate)
Review of grammar, continued practice in speaking, listening, and writing; reading texts of average difficulty.
The following are three-credit courses:
- LATN 101 - Elementary Latin I
- LATN 102 - Elementary Latin II
- LATN 201 - Intermediate Latin I - "Readings in Prose"
- LATN 202 - Intermediate Latin II -"Readings in Poetry"
- GREK 101 - Elementary Ancient Greek I
- GREK 102 - Elementary Ancient Greek II
- GREK 201 - Intermediate Greek I - "Readings in Prose"
- GREK 202 - Intermediate Greek II -"Readings in Poetry"
Completion of ARAB, CHIN, FREN, GRMN, HEBR, ITAL, JAPN, RUSS, or SPAN 107 or Latin 214 or GREK 214, Satisfies the Arts and Science foreign language requirement.
Students with superior background in one of these languages may opt to take the exemption exam administered by the
Foreign Language Placement Advisor. Those who pass the exam are exempted from the Arts & Sciences foreign language requirement and may enroll in more advanced courses if they wish.