MAFLL Requirements for Admission
The requirements for admission are:
1. B.A or equivalent in the target language/literature, or in another appropriate discipline.
2. Undergraduate Grade Point Average of 2.9 overall, and 3.25 in the proposed MA major subject.
3. The GRE General Test. Official GRE scores should be submitted at the beginning of the application process. The analytical writing test is required as part of the GRE. A minimum of 158 (570 on the pre-2011 scoring scale) on the verbal reasoning section is normally required.
4. TOEFL for international students:
- paper-based: minimum of 550 for admission, 600 for teaching assistantship;
- computer-based: minimum of 213 for admission, 250 for teaching assistantship;
- internet-based iBT: minimum of 79 for admission, 100 for teaching assistantship;
5. Three letters of recommendation, preferably from professors who know you well and can comment on your academic performance in the target language and/or literature, as well as on your current target language proficiency (if you are a non-native speaker of that language). If you have been away from the academic world for some years, a letter from an employer may be substituted for one academic letter.
6. Applicants must submit a writing sample of at least 1000 words in the target language (this may be a paper written for an undergraduate class).
In addition, candidates applying for a teaching assistantship may have a brief personal or telephone interview conducted in English and the target language.
Admission to the MA in Foreign Languages and Literatures is competitive. Those who meet these requirements are not guaranteed admission, nor are those who fail to meet the requirements necessarily precluded from admission if other appropriate strengths are presented, such as high grades and strong letters of recommendation.