Safety Beacon Newsletter
New Issue is online
Topics include: AEDs In University Departments, ATTENTION Chemical Waste Generators!, Is Your Training Up To Date? UD's Stormwater Program. Visit our Safety Beacon!
An unattended reaction, which was set up in a chemical fume hood exploded overnight, subsequently igniting other material that was stored in the same hood. It was determined that the fire was extremely hot and fueled by a solvent that was stored in the hood. Although the researcher had reportedly done this reaction before, using the same apparatus, we assume that this time the tube exploded. It was later determined that this type of reaction actually requires a high pressure reactor to conduct safely.
Extensive damage was done by this incident both by the explosion/fire and the subsequent water that flowed continuously for about 2.5 hours from three triggered sprinkler heads.
If you have any questions please contact Jane J. Frank or call x2103.