EDST 391 Ethics & the Human Genome
Cassidy and Caren's day!
Consider the following research practices, then answer the
three questions below. We will be reviewing
your decisions in class.
- Human embryonic research
- Creating animal hybrid embryos (terminated after 14 days)
- Allowing animal hybrid embryos to develop into independent beings
- Animal testing
- Creating human-animal hybrid embryos (terminated after 14 days)
- Allowing human-animal hybrids embryos to develop into independent
- Artificial insemination
- Designing embryos through gene selection
- Injecting living animals with human genetic material
- Transplanting animal organs into a human for medical treatment
previous readings as well as your own ethical principles, please rank
them from 1 to 10 in order of acceptability (1 = the
- How did you decide what made
practice more ethically acceptable or less acceptable than another?
or criteria did you use
when ranking them?
- Is the bottom-ranked practice
unacceptable, or is it just worse than the others?
A second writing assignment--What is your Paper 3 topic?
- Which bill (proposed law) do you
to analyze in
- Is there something not on the list you would rather write
If so, please propose a bill that might be added to the list.
- By the
these are just hypothetical bills, not real ones.
- There will be a short quiz at the beginning of class.