EDST 391 Ethics & the Human Genome
Genetic testing for diseases: What would you do?
Lissy and Rachel's day!
Required readings and survey:
Tuesdays with Morrie: Read pages 9-16 (the
entitled The Syllabus)
- Review Chapter 4 (Fate - p. 54-64) in Ridley's
Genome. Pay particular attention to the story
- Please take this brief survey by midnight Monday:
- Why do you think we asked you to read the "Syllabus" from Tuesdays with Morrie for today?
- What ethical dilemmas do people like Nancy Wexler (chapter 4 in Genome) face when they have a family
history of serious genetic disease and they:
- are trying to decide whether or not to test?
- decide not to test?
- decide to test and discover they do have the gene (are likely to develop the disease)?
- What aspects of the disease and your life would affect your ethical calculations?
- There will be a short quiz at the beginning of class.