Homo sapiens sapiens: What makes us human?
Due October 6 (Rewrite due October 20)
Typed, double-spaced, stapled, and with pages numbered
Length is flexible,
but aim for 4-5 pages.
Please attach a
Response form to the copy for your fellow.
distinguishes between humans and non-humans? That is, what is the dividing line between creatures that are human and creatures that are
- Please present two competing views of
where to draw the line between human and non-human. Then make the two views
compete (as in a debate).
- Clearly specify the criteria (characteristics) each side
is using to determine what is human vs. not.
- Conclude by saying what your own view is and
why. If you disagree with both or if
you have not yet reached a conclusion, please
explain your reasoning.
- You may use any format that is effective for your purpose.
I welcome creativity!
- It can be in the form of a debate, a conversation, regular
expository essay, etc. It can even be a single person’s change in view
- If you are summarizing or quoting some article,
please insert a citation in the text. It need include only the author,
page, and whatever else required to distinguish it from other
it is not a class reading, please also provide the full citation in a
bibliography at the end of the paper.
- Please pay attention to the instructions at the top of
- A clear "dividing line" for both sides of your
- An argument--a clear and persuasive one--to support
each side of the debate.
- Your third-party commentary on the debate explains
why you reached the conclusion you did.
- Demonstrates knowledge of ideas and evidence in the readings by
using them where appropriate to support, explain, and decide between the
- Clear, well-organized writing that stays on topic and does
not drift into irrelevancies.
- Words and sentences have “meat” and meaning (not empty or
- Reread the assignment one more time after you have finished
your paper. Did you answer all parts of the question? Staple your paper?
Fill out a Writer Response form?