EDST 391: H. sapiens: What does it mean to be “human”?
Buss, Chapter 1: The
Scientific Movements Leading to Evolutionary Psychology (pp.
2-25, summary [pp. 32-22])
- Be sure you understand the following ideas in Chapter 1 of Buss.
are critical to understanding the rest of the book.
- What exactly Darwin was trying to explain. Note: "evolution" is not
- His concepts of variation, inheritance, and selection--and how
are key to
- The difference between natural selection and sexual selection
- Hamilton's concept of inclusive fitness
- How Hamilton's criteria of
efficiency, and economy" are critical to determining what is
and is not
an evolutionary "adaptation." On Day 11 we will
look for examples of
among the Ache hunter-gatherers (the reading for that day).
- Trivers' concepts of reciprocal altruism, parental investment, and