||Tip - Speech Prep Work
Choosing a Topic
- Find something relevant to the assignment and situation.
- Consider things that interest you.
- What are the main points?
- What specifics need to be covered?
- What does the audience need to know?
Analyzing the occasion and audience
- What is the purpose of the speech?
- To inform, persuade, argue, provide technical information
- Time constraints
- What is your time slot? Is your time limited? Are you the only speaker?
- Capabilities of the room
- What types of visual aids can you use?
- Will the audience be comfortable?
- Will there be any distractions in the room?
- Audience analysis
- Demographics ( age, gender, education level, culture and ethnic affiliation) and Psychographics (beliefs, attitudes, values, and group membership) overlap to make an audience profile.
Put info in an outline
- What outline works best?
- Make sure main points flow smoothly from one to another.
- Add transitions to help with flow and markers to remind you when to use your visual aids.
Practice, Practice, Practice !!!!!!
Prepared by Sean Guidera