||Tip - Persuasive Speech Outline Format
and Outline Example
Persuasive Speech Outline Format
Specific Purposes: A list of what you want to accomplish throughout your speech. (See Example)
Proposition: a combination of your thesis statement and what action you want your audience to take.
Attention Step: keeping the audience’s attention
Need Step: convincing the audience that this is a problem that affects them and that your change is necessary
Satisfaction Step: how the audience will benefit from this change
Visualization Step: verbally picture for the audience what their future will be like if they accept your proposal and/or deny your proposal
Action Step: specifically tell what actions the audience should take
Sample Persuasive Speech Outline
Topic: Milk: It REALLY does do a body good
Proposition: Everyone should drink 3 glasses of milk everyday in order to live and long and healthy life.
- Specific Purposes:
- a. To inform classmates the health benefits to drinking 3 glasses of milk per day
b. To inform classmates of the problems associated with not drinking milk
c. To persuade students to actually drink 3 glasses of milk per day
d. To inform classmates of ways to fulfill the 3 glasses of milk if drinking milk is a problem for them.
Run through a list of common things mom tells you to do everyday to stay healthy. Ex: drinking 8 glasses of water, all your fruits and vegetables, brushing your teeth after every meal, drinking 3 glasses of milk per day. Ask how many follow each of these everyday.
- Milk contains many of the essential vitamins and minerals that your body needs to function daily
- Calcium: most important, helps build and maintain strong bones. Also vital for nerve function, muscle contraction, and blood clotting.
Protein: Important for a number of bodily functions.
Vitamin A: Maintains normal vision and skin.
Vitamin B-12: Essential for the growth and health of the nervous system and is involved in blood formation.
Vitamin D: Promotes the absorption of calcium and phosphorus, and influences bone mineralization, the strengthening of bones.
Potassium: Regulates the body's fluid balance and blood pressure, muscle activity and contractions.
Phosphorus: Helps generate energy in the body's cells and influences bone mineralization, the strengthening of bones.
Niacin: Keeps enzymes functioning normally and helps the body process sugars and fatty acids.
Riboflavin: Helps produce energy in the body's cells and plays a vital role in the development of the nervous system.
These vitamins and minerals are found in many of the other foods we eat however not all in one quantity like it is with milk
- 2. Drinking milk is the most natural way to fulfill your body’s needs for these vitamins and minerals
- Calcium is the most important mineral found in milk
1. Helps with the formation of healthy teeth and bones
2. Aids in key functions of the heart, blood and nerves
3. Basically keeps the body overall running smoothly to be able to perform daily functions
4. One glass of milk contains about 30% of you’re body’s daily need of calcium, this is why the National Institutes of Health recommend to drink three glasses of milk daily in order to receive the proper amount of calcium
5. Also, adding more calcium to your diet decreases your risk of kidney stones
- Calcium is also extremely important to be included in your diet now to help prevent future health problems, - osteoporosis
1. Bones still taking in calcium until age 35 – teenage years are most important to be getting calcium in now
2. Osteoporosis, which is defined as a progressive disease that causes bones to become thin and brittle, making them more likely to break.
3. Can reach the point where the bones in your hand break with a firm handshake
4. One of America’s top diseases, effecting 10 million Americans with 34 million Americans having reduced bone mass, which is more than 75% of the population
- Teenage years most important time to be drinking milk to prevent osteoporosis, however no one really seems to be listening to this:
1. 88% of teenage girls and 60% of teenage boys have low calcium intake
2. Just in our class only 1 person drinks 3 glasses of milk per day, rest have low calcium intake
- “But Milk is gross cant I just take some other supplement and drink soda and juices all the time?”
1. May not like the taste of milk, talk about some other solutions later
2. Don’t replace milk with liquids such as sodas and juices because health problems such as obesity, tooth decay, caffeine dependency and weakened bones are associated with drinking too much soda and sugary juices.
3. Today our obese society drinks twice as much milk as they do soda according to a 1998 study – maybe if our society began to drink more milk we would not be so overweight
Everyone should try to drink one glass of milk with each meal of the day
- Because of the enormous health benefits
- And to help with your health down the road
- Because it really is simple to make a daily habit
- All become healthier people, since osteoporosis is a growing problem in America we can all be healthy and not breaking our bones with every step we take, just by starting to drink three glasses of milk per day NOW
What everyone can try to do is drink 3 glasses of milk per day, one with each meal, start slow at first, work your way to it
- If you don’t like the taste of milk try flavored milk, sell chocolate and strawberry milk everywhere, or you can also try drinking smoothies and milkshakes
- If you’re afraid milk is too fattening then drink skim milk, studies found on whymilk.com show that drinking three glasses of milk per day can help you loose weight
- If you’re lactose intolerant than there is soy milk and lactaid that you can add to milk in order to make it able to be consumed
- If you really want to have nothing at all to do with milk then take calcium supplements, or labels on certain dairy products that this is equal to one glass of milk, although milk is a much better choice its better than nothing